Friday, May 19, 2006

SuperSize Me!

Remember my obsession with absurdly supersized snack foods?

It didn't go away. So this past weekend, I made my very own Pimped-Out Peanut Butter Cup.

The Ingredients


3 11.5-oz bags of milk chocolate chips
1 18-oz jar of creamy peanut butter
A whole lotta confectioner's sugar (I think I used about a quarter of the bag)


The Process

First I lined a tart pan with parchment paper. Then I melted 2 bags of chocolate chips in the microwave and stirred them well for a nice, smooth milk chocolate base. I spread the melted chocolate and put it in the fridge to cool.


Once the chocolate was solid, I mixed together the peanut butter and confectioner's sugar. I used way too much of both; I wound up with twice as much filling as I needed, so I made chocolate-covered peanut-butter balls with the rest. Also, in the future, even though it takes a lot of muscle, I would recommend mixing this the old-fashioned way: with a spoon. I used a hand mixer on the lowest setting and I'm still finding peanut-butter filling in all sorts of fun places.


I spread the filling over the chocolate, then melted another bag of chips, stirred, and spread that over the filling.

Then the whole thing went back into the fridge. And it came out like this:



Unfortunately, the parchment negated the point of the tart pan: I didn't get the ridges. And I probably should have spread the top a little more smoothly. But you try spreading chocolate smoothly over peanut butter!

It's a little hard to eat; I had to let it soften at room temperature for about half an hour before I could get a knife through it. But it is yummy!

9 Comments:

At 8:06 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, that's a big peanut butter cup! I'll have to remember that as a birthday cake alternative... mmmmm.

 
At 8:30 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ohmyga.

 
At 8:40 AM , Blogger bdogg_mcgee said...

I am SO SO SO making that this weekend!

 
At 1:05 PM , Blogger acw said...

I'll take a dozen. Where can I send the check?

 
At 11:23 PM , Blogger Frema said...

Holy crap that looks delicious! I gained five pounds just looking at it. :)

 
At 9:35 AM , Blogger Lora said...

It looks fantastic.

 
At 5:35 AM , Blogger Elsa said...

That looks DELICIOUS!

 
At 8:08 AM , Blogger Frema said...

P.S. I love to put chocolate in the refrigerator before eating it. It always seems too mushy at room temperature.

 
At 6:57 AM , Blogger Scott said...

That sounds really good. I don't cook much but try this sometime.

Ingredients

1 Package of Chocolate Chipits
2 Cups of Graham Cracker Crumbs
1 Cup Smooth Peanut Butter
1 Cup Melted Butter
3 1/2 Cups of Icing/Confectioner's Sugar

Directions
Combine Sugar, peanut butter, graham cracker crumbs and melted butter in large bowl.

Once mixed place in pan and flatten

Pour melted chocolate over the top, put it in the fridge until it hardens and then serve. It is really really good stuff.

Scott

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home