Thursday, May 18, 2006

On the Pile

First, some shameless self-promotion: I've got new reviews on Austinist.

Finished: Deogratias by J.P. Stassen. An excellent, no-holds-barred look at the aftermath of the Rwandan genocide. May be a little confusing if you don’t know much about the genocide.

But I’ve said it once and I’ll say it again: Read We Wish to Inform You That Tomorrow We Will Be Killed With Our Families by Philip Gourevitch. Stop whatever you are doing and READ THIS BOOK. Take a few days off work and READ THIS BOOK.

Currently Reading: The Omnivore’s Dilemma. Pollan’s writing style reminds me a lot of Jared Diamond---rambling, folksy, a bit verbose in spots. But he has an interesting mind---the way it veers from one topic to the next, linking ideas together in an intricate but logical web, sort of like a hyperlinked brain---and a unique way of describing things---comparing driving a tractor in rich soil to sailing a boat through chocolate.

Also reading Vampire Loves by Joann Sfar. A fun read. The vampire's exgirlfriend is hilarious (“I didn’t leave you. I just cheated on you. If you hadn’t found out, there wouldn’t have been any problem.”), although I’ve found that it’s best enjoyed in small chunks; there’s only so much moping and self-pity I can handle from someone who’s not me.

On Deck: Theft, Digging to America, and Persepolis 2.* I think. Although I got a new Armstrong book and it is taking all my willpower not to take a couple days off work, put all else aside, and read that.

Added to the Pile: Lots of stuff!

The Great Transformation by Karen Armstrong (and how much do I LOVE my contact at Knopf; she sent me an autographed copy!)
It Might Have Been What He Said by Eden Collinsworth
Fax from Sarajevo by Joe Kubert
Tales of the Slayer by Joss Whedon
A Contract With God by Will Eisner
The Hero with a Thousand Faces by Joseph Campbell
Palestine by Joe Sacco
The Brooklyn Follies by Paul Auster
Missing Mom by Joyce Carol Oates
In the Company of the Courtesan by Sarah Dunant


*Marjane Sartrapi has a new book coming out in October!

2 Comments:

At 10:24 AM , Blogger Elsa said...

Thanks for the reviews. I'm looking forward to hearing what you think of Ann Tyler's new book Diggin in America. It sounds pretty good.

 
At 11:44 AM , Blogger Bearette said...

I'm definitely going to read the new Marjane when it comes out, though I'm disappointed in the carnivorous title ;)

You might want to check out her other book Embroideries, I thought it was good even though some of the Amazon reviewers slammed it.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home