Thursday, May 18, 2006

YAY!

I got the graduate advisor I wanted! Prof. H. specializes in human rights, humanitarian intervention, and Africa. Yay!

Now, a question: Prof. H. has written a book. The book is not available at the Austin Public Library (imagine me not surprised). I'd like to read it before I get to campus in the fall, but the only way to do that is to buy the book. And I've sworn off buying any books not required for school. A resolution I've actually managed to keep (although my therapist insists that magazines are books and admittedly some of the lit journals---Paris Review, Granta, VQR---are debatable).

Does this fall under the school allowance? Dear bloggers, Am I allowed to buy this book?

7 Comments:

At 11:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Definitely yes. Think of it this way: at least you're not buying crack. Books are good for you!

But if you find yourself overcome with guilt, maybe your library could get it from another library via interlibrary loan?

 
At 11:36 AM , Blogger Bearette said...

Hee...a good loophole. Or you could even get it from a used bookstore.

 
At 12:43 PM , Blogger bdogg_mcgee said...

I was also going to suggest Interlibrary Loan....I have gotten lots of hard-to-find books that way!

And it's free!!! What could be better than that?

 
At 1:06 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Definitely. I give you permission to buy this book. It's school-ish.

 
At 7:17 PM , Blogger Lora said...

Did you check with the UT library?

 
At 11:23 PM , Blogger Frema said...

Oh yes. Think of it as extra credit!

 
At 5:34 AM , Blogger Elsa said...

Oh, definitely. It's school-related and that's really all the justification you need :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home