Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Penelope's Web: The Yarn Pile*

Let us pause during Craft Week to recognize all the crafts that have yet to be made, all the good intentions and the big ideas and the impulse buys.

This is a pillow that I started in February 2004.

This is a book cozy that I started last summer for a coworker. I actually did finish the cozy, but my measurements were a "little" off (as in, you could have wrapped the OED in it).

I can't even remember what I bought this yarn for.

I bought this yarn to make an afghan for my parents for Christmas. 2004. I did eventually make an afghan for this past Christmas, but I used different yarn.

I bought this yarn in January so I'd have plenty of time to make the afghan that I'm giving my sister for her wedding. I still haven't cast on and the wedding is in less than three months.

This was supposed to be my uncle's Christmas gift. I did eventually finish it after I took this photo. I finished it in March.**

A few months ago, I got all excited about knitting dishcloths and bought a bunch of yarn to make them.

I did eventually use the purple yarn to make these:


*In The Odyssey, Penelope is pursued by hundred of suitors wanting to take the place of the presumed-dead Odysseus. Penelope puts them off by agreeing to pick one after she has weaved her father-in-law's death shroud. And so she spends each day at her loom. But each night, she sneaks into the loom room and unravels her work from that day, thus extending her decisionmaking indefinitely. The term Penelope's Web refers to projects that are never completed.

**Careful readers may note that I said that I took these photos before completing the scarf in March. That is, I took these photos nearly three months ago and am just now getting around to posting them. Oh, and in keeping with the theme, I still have piles of other unfinished crafts to photograph but I never finished this project, either.

2 Comments:

At 9:51 AM , Blogger SK said...

Both my parents are still waiting for the scarves I promised 2 years ago. It seems like there just isn't any time!!

Even though we don't complete a lot of what we want to I figure it's better to WANT to do something and haev the goals rather than be louses and have no goals at all.

 
At 5:02 PM , Blogger Lora said...

I think we may have similar tendancies.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home