Tuesday, May 09, 2006

More Crafty Fun

Craft week continues . . .

Remember my first rule of crafting? Well, I fully obeyed it during a Saturday trip to The Work*Shop, a sort of paint-your-own-pottery place but much more fun. You can paint pottery. Or you can make mosaics, play with beads, mix bath lotions and potions, paint glass, do decoupage . . . It's like art camp for adults.

For this project, I had a partner in crime: Lora. I also had help from The Work*Shop's proprietor (Cynthia). They helped me pick colors and solve paint crises and so forth. But they couldn't save me from myself.

In keeping with the first rule of crafting, I decided that I would decorate a pencil box with a combination of paint and mosaic.





My second rule of crafting: Logic has no place in crafting.

Because logic would tell us that before starting a project, we should gather all our materials together and make sure we have what we need. You know, like the right paint colors. But I prefer to launch right into the project and cross my bridges when I come to them. Logic would also tell us that if we can't draw a straight line or paint in a straight line, then maybe stripes aren't the best design choice.

But I'm a rule-abiding kind of girl. So ignoring the fact that I didn't have the right shade of blue or that I can't do anything in a straight line, I forged ahead.

The finished box! Please note once again how much I hate Walgreens. Because this originally was a picture of the entire box.





Lora is not a Rules Girl; she insists on making simple-yet-beautiful projects that are carefully planned. Silly Lora.





Lora's finished lightswitch plate. So pretty!

Stay tuned for more crafty fun.

4 Comments:

At 2:03 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

You guys are so crafty. I don't know of anyplace like that around here...

 
At 6:23 AM , Blogger Elsa said...

What a cool place. I've been to the paint-the-pottery places, but this seems much better.

And both your projects came out great - very creative.

 
At 6:24 AM , Blogger Elsa said...

P.S. I'm like you, I just want to dive into the project and worry about the logic part later...or never :-)

 
At 4:59 PM , Blogger Lora said...

Oh it's not finished I still need to grout it. And remember it took me three hours to arrange those little pieces of glass.

I like the way your box turned out. I think the blue ended up working out perfectly. Let me know if you want to go do this again.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home