Thursday, May 25, 2006

On the Pile

Finished: The Omnivore’s Dilemma. For some reason I have a total hang-up about the article in the title. I keep substituting “an.” But regardless of my article issues, this is an outstanding book. Like many of the current journalists-cum-anthropologists, Pollan occasionally gets bogged down in the minutia of his own curiosity, wanting to fit in every little scrap of information he learned, but overall it’s an engaging---and eye-opening--look at the American food system. Of course, now I’m even more confused when I go to the grocery store. Oh, and the author is such a nice guy. Had a great interview with him yesterday, which you can read all about over here.

Also finished Vampire Loves, which is cute in a twenty-something-angst-played-out-by-monsters sort of way. Don’t we all feel like a lonely, conflicted creature of the night sometimes?

Currently Reading: Nothing! Well, if we want to be literal, anyway. I finished Omnivore’s Dilemma late on Tuesday night and haven’t started anything new. But I’ll be picking up either Persepolis 2 or This Voice in My Heart by Gilbert Tuhabonye. The latter is by a local runner who is from Burundi and is the sole survivor of a horrific massacre related to the Rwandan genocide. And I really, really want to start either The Hero with a Thousand Faces or The Great Transformation. Because I'm convinced that at least one of them has the answer.

On Deck: Yay for long weekends! Some of these might finally move up from this pile. Although I also have a craft book round-up to write. And fiction just isn't doing it for me lately. I've been much more interested in reading nonfiction. But I have good intentions to soon read Theft, Digging to America, and Voodoo Heart.

Added to the Pile:

The Accidental by Ali Smith (Finally! It’s been on my library reserve list for six months.)
American Dream by Jason DeParle
Burning Rainbow Farm by Dean Kuipers

4 Comments:

At 11:01 AM , Blogger Scott said...

Great stuff... I think that I am going to steal this post soon about books that I have waiting to read.

I am going to put the Omnivore one near the top of the list.

Scott

 
At 7:15 PM , Blogger Bearette said...

i am going to check out the vampire book. I really like vampires.

--Nosferatu

 
At 6:16 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just got Digging to America from the library this week! So glad to have a 3-day weekend approaching...

Reading Anne Tyler is like eating a bowl of whipped cream and raspberries.

 
At 7:24 AM , Blogger Bearette said...

my library copy is not even in transit yet :( i must be patient.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home