Wednesday, March 08, 2006

I Am So Not Checking My Mail Today

Not the best start to a day.

And it had so much promise. I'm feeling completely swamped this week---with fittings for the skirts, writing a book review, living and breathing, and reinventing myself for the parties that I'm pretty sure I don't even want to go to and have let myself get pushed into---what can I say? I've gotten really used to my lazy schedule of coming home after work and not having anything I have to do---so I took a couple "personal" hours this morning to go to the grocery store and whip up some cookie batter to bake tonight as A fits me for the skirts.

On the way to the grocery store, some jerk in an oversized SUV decides that he wants to go straight, even though he's in the left-turn-only lane. I'm to the right of him and also in a left-turn lane. With my blinker on, clearly indicating my intent to indeed turn left. Regardless of all these facts, he gunned it straight through. If I had been just a second or two faster on my turn, I'd be typing this from a hospital bed.

I get to the grocery store, shaken but safe, and things seem to be looking up. Let me tell ya---9.00 a.m. on a Wednesday morning is the time to grocery shop. Then or about 9 p.m. on a Saturday night. I buzz through my shopping, get checked out, go to pay---and get told that my card was declined. Now, I know I had my little shopping binge this past weekend. But no way did I burn through a whole paycheck. Turns out that I don't shop nearly often enough---my recent purchases were "unusual" for my account so the bank put a security lock on it. You know, it'd be kind of nice if they would give you a call when they do that, rather than letting you find out the next time you're at the grocery store.

Things seem to be improving. A bit. But I'm keeping an eye to the sky for anvils. And I am not checking my mail.

4 Comments:

At 12:42 PM , Blogger Bearette said...

i remember when i put my yoga school tuition on my credit card. It was declined (with a whole bunch of ppl behind me in line). The girl at the desk called Chase and it turned out they wanted to protect me from whoever was putting $3K on my card. I hate it when they do that.

 
At 2:04 PM , Blogger Mike said...

Yeah, love how banks want to protect us from ourselves. I was in Nassau Bahamas when my card was declined because of unusual activity in several timezones that week. Hello! I worked for an airline at the time as a rep for package deals and went all over meeting with resorts, etc. Not a good feeling when you're in a foreign country...

 
At 2:06 PM , Blogger Mike said...

And as for oversized SUVs and (yikes) tractor trailer trucks, they need to go far away. I laugh about those expereiences now...no I don't.

 
At 7:12 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, that's so yuck. I hope your day gets better. :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home