Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Resolution Report: Month 2

Did a whole other month really go by? Is it really March? When did February happen?

Get back into a size 8. Sigh. Not a bit of progress on this one. In fact, I may backslid a bit. I’m still going to the gym, but only about twice a week. And my eating habits have been horrifying. First all the Valentine’s Day chocolate that I ate in defiance of not having a valentine. And now the Cadbury Creme Eggs. Oh, how I love those Cadbury Creme Eggs. Sigh. Grade: D (-)*

Run a half marathon. I’m running. Not as often as I should, though. I could maybe make it through a 5K if my life depended on it. Grade: C- (+)

Be more social. I just keep improving on this one! I think I’ve officially tossed off the hermit mantle. Don’t get me wrong: I’m still a misanthropic introvert. But I’m no longer a total shut-in. Grade: A (+)

Volunteer more often. Yeah, still not so much. In fact, even less, because I’ve started skipping church committee meetings. So I think this will be my Lenten thing. Instead of giving up something---because I don’t have much to give up and what I haven’t given up I’d be giving up for selfish, shallow purposes rather than for spiritual renewal---I’m going to commit to volunteer 40 hours throughout Lent. Grade: F (-)

Finish the first draft of a novel. Well, no. I still haven’t written a word of it. And I’m wondering if I should reword this goal, because I did write more last month. I wrote an op-ed on school finance for a local paper and a book review and an interview for a local Web site. So I’m writing. I’m just not writing fiction. Novel Grade: F; Writing Grade: C+

Live within a budget. Yes and no. Again, I haven’t pulled out the credit cards. But I borrowed a bit from my tax return. And I haven’t been putting anything into savings. Grade: C (/)

Pay my bills on time. Most of them. My electric bill was late. The stupid thing? I had the money to pay the bill. I was just too lazy to take the three minutes to write the check, affix a stamp, and put it in the mailbox. Grade: B (-)

Improve my work ethic. I think I may have actually gotten worse in the past month. And, really, I had thought I had hit rock bottom. But no. I could have cared less. And now I do. Grade: F (/)

Improve my cooking skills. February really wasn’t a very good month for me. Yet another goal on which I backslid. I did very little cooking this month, and what I did, generally ended in disaster. I did make some tasty biscuits, am getting better at omelets, and improved my cookie recipe. But the pizza disaster sort of cancels that all out. Grade: D (-)

Refresh my French skills. I may drop this goal. It just isn’t happening. Grade: F (/)

Don’t buy any books. Not only have I still not bought any books, but I’ve found ways to get free books! Grade: A+ (/)

In Summary: Out of 11 goals, I’ve stuck to 3 this month. Down from 3.5 last month.
Average Grade: C. Same as last month.

Onward to March!


* (-) means I did worse than the previous month; (+) means that I improved from the previous month; (/) means no change from the previous month.

8 Comments:

At 10:51 AM , Blogger SK said...

Hey, I've been thinking of volunteering dowtown on Saturdays at the Salvation Army or wherever they give out the food to the homeless. It's like at 6 in the morning though.. I figure that's a sacrifice :) Yeah, I know giving up the breakfast tacos for lunch is a bit selfish on my part (b/c I bet I would loose weight!) but I think that it will make me suffer and every time I do I can think of why I'm doing it. Funny how even though I'm on the fence right now I'm reverting to what I know during lent. For now it feels right and it would feel wrong if I didn't do something.

 
At 10:52 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

You should get some bonus points for getting free books. :)

 
At 12:42 PM , Blogger Bearette said...

LOL. I love the work ethic one.

 
At 3:39 PM , Blogger bdogg_mcgee said...

Two words for paying your bills on time:

Online Banking.

I love the fact that the only check I write and physically send out is my rent check. All others are paid sitting at my computer.

 
At 6:06 AM , Blogger Frema said...

I think you're doing great. Working out at all is pretty amazing, as the most I can muster is an occasional walk. But I'm determined to get better.

Also, I used to think I wanted to publish fiction and beat myself up about not writing stories. Only after I started blogging did I realize I'm much better at poking fun at myself than I am creating people to make fun of.

 
At 6:07 AM , Blogger Frema said...

Also also: I'm right there with you on the work ethic one. I spend half my day writing comments instead of learning InDesign like a good worker bee.

 
At 10:12 AM , Blogger Lora said...

I'm with Bdogg on this one: Online banking

Giving up French, for the moment is a good idea and giving yourself credit for all the other writing you've been doing is a good thing.

I'm certainly enjoying reaping the benefits of you being more social.

I like your lent project, what type of volunteering do you plan to do?

 
At 10:30 AM , Blogger Lisa said...

I actual do online bill pay for most of my bills and have set up reminders for myself. It's just the phone bill and the electric bill that both always seem to get lost in the shuffle!

And I'm not sure on where I'm going to volunteer yet! Literacy Austin is always in need. And there's a local group that sends books to prisoners. So probably something book/literacy related.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home