Thursday, March 02, 2006

On the Pile

Yay for review copies!

Finished: Strapped by Tamara Draut. Despite being a statistics-heavy look at economic and social policies, it’s high readable and interesting. Depressing in that it confirms that it sucks to be us, but heartening in that we’re not alone and it’s not our fault. You can read my interview with the author here. Also finished A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L’Engle. Rather complex for a young adult novel---and occasionally heavy-handed in its morality---but those might be the reasons that I love it: L’Engle assumes that young people can grasp big, complex ideas like physics and freedom.

Now Reading: Without You by Anthony Rapp (for review) and The Finishing School by Muriel Spark. But I’m starting to remember all the reasons I wasn’t so impressed with Spark’s The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie, so as much as I hate not to finish a book, I may put The Finishing School aside. Also started The 9 Steps to Financial Freedom by Suzie Orman. I glanced through it and my eyes started to glaze over at all the information about IRAs and 401Ks and loaded vs. no-load funds. Which probably means that I really do need to read this book.

On Deck: Philosophy Made Simple (A Novel) by Robert Hellenga and The Thin Place by Kathryn Davis.

Added to the Pile: How Opal Mehta Got Kissed, Got Wild, and Got a Life by Kaavya Viswanathan and Mean Girls Grown Up by Cheryl Dellasega.

5 Comments:

At 12:25 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm impressed by your interview!

 
At 2:42 PM , Blogger Jay Noel said...

I want to read A Wrinkle in Time. I've never read it, and I think I'd enjoy it.

I read 9 Steps to Financial Freedom. It's actually pretty readable. Her tapes are pretty good. If you get to see her do her radio show on MSNBC, watch it. She's very entertaining. She can be patronizing.

Thanks for visiting my site, by the way. I plan to come back here as well!

 
At 5:32 AM , Blogger Frema said...

That interview was great. I can't wait to read the book!

Also, I love Suze Orman, and the only book I've read so far is The Money Book for the Young, Fabulous, and Broke. It breaks everything down into simple terms without making you feel like an idiot. Plus, it's geared toward our generation, so some of what she says in her older books won't apply to us. Maybe try that one first?

 
At 7:58 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did you know that I LOVE to read your blog? I love your writing style. Anyway, I've always wanted to read a Suze Orman book, but I think I'll start with the one frema suggested. Also, did you see that the City Council said it's okay for Rowan to eat with us on restaurant patios? Hooray!

 
At 8:13 AM , Blogger Lisa said...

I did see that! Hooray! Who wants to meet at Mozart's on Sunday?

And thank you for the compliment!

I put the Orman book that Frema recommended on hold at the library. Hope it comes in soon!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home