Tuesday, December 06, 2005

On the Pile

I haven't posted an On the Pile lately because it's mostly been the same books in the same pile being renewed over and over again and not get read. But I finally gave up on reading some of them for the moment (Lolita in November? What was I thinking? January is a much better month for the Russians.), have finished some, and have added some new ones.
I'll second Bearette's recommendation of Case Histories. I was mildly disappointed in the ending, though. It seemed rushed and a little cheated. Loose ends were tied up too neatly and resolutions appeared out of nowhere.
Currently in the To Be Read pile:

Dog by Michelle Herman
A short novel about a lonely spinster and a dog. In other words, my life. But just look at the cute cover!
The Finishing School by Muriel Spark
British school dramas are perfect for cold December nights. And, although I didn't love The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie, it was a fun, quick read, which is exactly what I'm looking for right now.
Smashed by Koren Zailckas
What better way to feel better about my life than to read about how horribly screwed up someone else's life is? I'll try not to dwell on the fact that she published her first book at the age of 24 and I don't seem likely to finish a short story before I turn 30.
Vernon God Little by D.B.C. Pierre
The literary IQ test on Doppelganger's site left me feeling sufficiently illiterate that I thought I should maybe read some of the books on the award lists. This one won the Whitbread and the Booker.

In addition to those, I still have Collapse, Awake at Work, and The Feeling Buddha. Affluenza and Paradise are back in the pile. And I'm picking up The End of Poverty and American Dream from the library this afternoon (both have made previous appearances on the pile). And, as if those weren't enough, I borrowed Wicked from a friend because I didn't get to finish it before it had to go back to the library.

Not that I have any idea when I'll read these. I still have one and a half scarves to finish, as well as the afghan and a cross-stitch---all for Christmas. And perhaps some can knit and read at the same time, but I'm not nearly that good. It's taxing enough for me to follow an episode of Alias while knitting. Oh well, I can always renew them. And then request them again. And renew again . . .

4 Comments:

At 8:15 AM , Blogger Kelly @ IdealistMom.com said...

Oooh...you gotta read Affluenza! It was a good, quick read, especially for being nonfiction.

By the way, I saw your earlier post about looking at Blue Dog puppies...have you heard that Blue Dog is selling 2006 calendars now? They'd make a great gift if you still have holiday shopping to do! :)

 
At 8:19 AM , Blogger Bearette said...

I love those neat endings. I read Dog! I found the dog more likable than the protagonist ;) Maybe I'll check out the Muriel Spark. We read The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie in high school. I remember the teacher talking ominously about betrayal.

 
At 8:55 AM , Blogger Lisa said...

Another blue dogger? Hi! I got my puppy---Rowen---from there.

And I'm very tempted by the calendars. I might have to add a couple of those to my shopping list.

And, of course, while I was on the site, I had to check out the dogs. How much do I want, want, want BabyBug?! She's adorable! And I bet she would totally get along with Rowen. But I can't, can't, can't. Not until I have a place with a yard.

But BabyBug is sooooo cute.

*sigh*

 
At 11:53 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I read Smashed last year, but can't comment on any of the other titles. That's quite a pile!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home