Wednesday, November 30, 2005

One Down

I sent in the last pieces of my application to the University of Wisconsin yesterday. Two more to go: University of Texas is due in two weeks; University of Kentucky isn't due until February, but I might as well get it done now. I have two interviews scheduled at UT next week. The whole process has just gone on for too long. I want it over with already. But then begins the LONG wait until March when I find out whether I've been accepted anywhere.

Prayers, lighted candles, and sacrificial offerings will be much appreciated.

By the by, sending things overnight has gotten hella expensive. I sent two envelopes via FedEx yesterday---one to UW, one to someone who is providing an extra reference for UT and UK---and it cost me nearly $60!

I'm excited about the programs, but I'm still questioning whether this is the right thing. Is this just an escape from an unhappy situation? Is this is cop out because I'm afraid to pursue other things (like writing)? Should I be applying to library school instead? Is this really what I want?

I keep telling myself that, worst case scenario, I drop out after a semester or a year. Or just get the master's degree.

And then I start thinking about living on a grad school budget and trying to pay off my credit cards and student loans and the whole thing gets very overwhelming because, let's face it, I'm not doing very well at living on a fulltime salary. And I'm supposed to talk to a group about "living simply." Ha!

But it looks like I might be able to cut out my monthly Napster bill thanks to Crystal, who pointed me to Pandora, which is kind of a like a personal juke box. You put in a song or artist you like and it creates a "station" that plays similar songs. And it's free! At least, it's free if you agree to ads.

And if I start getting too bummed, I'll have a moment of zen watching the baby panda at the National Zoo (thanks to Kim). The second cutest thing in the world (after Rowen, of course).

Oh, and I think that Rowen might be part Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever. The markings match (although her coat is definitely from the lab side of the family), as does the personality. And it would explain a lot---like why she wants to play fetch 24/7 and why she gets so depressed when we stay indoors and don't play. Although, Tollers are supposedly easy to train. And, well, Rowen . . . let's just call her special, okay?

Have I rambled enough for today? Probably so.

8 Comments:

At 8:14 AM , Blogger Bearette said...

Good luck with the apps! I'm kind of tempted by library school myself. But anthropology is interesting too. I know someone in a Ph.D. program for that.

 
At 10:45 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hella! LOL! I haven't heard that since the early nineties. I'm definitely going to start saying that again.

Good luck with figuring things out. Looking at baby animals always helps, in my opinion. I can't wait to get over there and see it!

 
At 10:56 AM , Blogger SK said...

Ok, now is probably the time to get together for drinks. :) We're definately in the same boat and if we can't provide suggestions for one another then we can surely provide comfort :) I know what you are going through. It's been so hard for me since I left my "real" paying job to go back to college. They keep saying I'll appreciate it when it's over but I'm still working on undergrad and you are trying to do grad school! I'm scared now...

I think I've made major changes in my life for the wrong reasons sometimes - to escape unhappiness but at the same time, if we are unhappy why shouldn't we go find something that makes us happy? Is that so wrong?

 
At 11:31 AM , Blogger Lisa said...

Drink? Please!

December isn't even here yet and I'm already hating it. With the apps, trying to figure out how to stretch the ol' paycheck way beyond its limits, the unvacation Christmas vacation, my everexpanding waistline (see tomorrow re: detox!)---gah!

 
At 12:49 PM , Blogger bdogg_mcgee said...

Just take a step back and breathe. The right thing will come to you. :)

I understand exactly how you feel though. I got about 30% of the way through the Alternative Teacher Certification program and went, "Why am I doing this? I hate the politics that go on in schools," especially at the elementary level, where I wanted to be. So I quit--the only reason I was doing it was so I could go on and get my MLS to be an elementary librarian, but now I think I just want to get the MLS and be a librarian in a non-school library. :)

 
At 12:54 PM , Blogger Frema said...

I know you took the GRE, but what I don't know is the program you're applying to right now.

 
At 6:44 AM , Blogger Lisa said...

Wow. A lot of wannabe librarians among us!

Frema---I'm applying to anthropology programs. Social/cultural to be more specific.

 
At 9:00 AM , Blogger Bearette said...

I think it's 'cause we all love books. If I could find a job where they would pay me to read, I'd do it. A lawyer once told me that they get paid to read. But the stuff they read is not worth reading (contracts, etc.)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home