Thursday, December 01, 2005

The Detox Plan

Have you seen Super Size Me? If not, go out and rent it immediately. On DVD so you can watch the extras, which are awesome.

In a nutshell, this guy---Morgan Spurlock---spends 30 days eating nothing but McDonald's food---breakfast, lunch, and dinner. To better approximate the average U.S. lifestyle, he also limits his walking and exercise (Did you know that New Yorkers walk an average of 5 miles a day? The rest of us average under 1 mile a day. Almost makes me want to move to NYC.). In the course of the month, he gains 25 pounds and does so much damage to his health after only three weeks that three doctors told him that he was risking his life if he continued for the full 30 days. He woke up with chest pains and was having serious liver problems. He also became extremely depressed.

Watch this and you will never want to eat fast food again.

Anyway, his girlfriend---now fiancee---is a vegan chef. After he finished his experiment, she created an 8-week detox diet for him to reverse the effects of the All-McD's diet. She then wrote a book based on the detox.

That's the book I've decided to use to guide my own detox: The Great American Detox Diet by Alex Jamieson. It arrived on Tuesday. (Yes, I bought it. Yes, I am hopeless.)

I read through the first few chapters, in which she explains the rationale for the detox, and the appendices, which get into the nitty gritty of the detox. The rest of the book is more detail on specific elements of the average U.S. diet and how to eat more healthfully. I'll be sharing tidbits from those chapters as I go through this.

In the meantime, here are the basic principles of my own detox, based on Jamieson's book.

* I will avoid caffeine, alcohol, refined sugars, and refined/white carbohydrates. Meat is also part of the plan, but I already don't eat that.

* I will limit dairy (one serving a day, gradually eliminating it) and fish (only fresh fish prepared at home, 2-3 times a week).

* I will add water; organic, fresh fruits and vegetables; and protein.

* I will prepare my own foods as much as possible.

* I will eat fresh, unprocessed foods as much as possible.

* I will get one "free" meal each week (because it's the holidays and I'm realistic).

So that's the deal. I'll be posting my progress as I go.

Wish me luck!

8 Comments:

At 8:58 AM , Blogger Bearette said...

Cool! I do all of that, pretty much, except the dairy. I love dairy, people.

You SHOULD move to nyc!

That was a really good movie. I wonder how much business McD's lost as a result.

 
At 9:28 AM , Blogger Lisa said...

I love dairy, too. That's going to be hard to give up. But my system just doesn't like it so much anymore.

And avoiding sugars---yikes! Sugar is in everything!

Do you know any good Web sites to get recipes that use spelt? I got too much at the grocery store and need to find a way to use it.

 
At 10:11 AM , Blogger Bearette said...

I'm not sure. (I do eat pasta, so I don't have too much experience with wheat replacements.) You could probably do a Google search for "vegan diet." You can avoid sugar by having oatmeal instead of cereal, no desserts, and plain yogurt.

I do think you don't have to go the whole hog - just cutting out cereal and replacing it with oatmeal did wonders for me, in terms of cravings and energy level.

 
At 10:21 AM , Blogger Lisa said...

Except I don't like oatmeal! Or at least, hot oatmeal. I love me some oatmeal cookies. Especially with chocolate chips. Yummmmmmmm.

Cutting the sweets is fairly straightforward. It's all the hidden sugars. The ones in all those nice prepared foods that I love so much---peanut butter, pasta sauce, microwave meals. Those are the ones that are hard to cut because I have to make myself check everything.

I'm going all out for the 8 weeks and then add the things I really missed back in moderation. But I feel like I have sludge in my veins right now.

 
At 7:20 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

When M and I watched Supersize Me last year, we were so disgusted that we started using our handweights while we watched. We couldn't stand to just sit on the couch. :-)

I rarely eat fast food, but sometimes french fries taste sooo good!

 
At 8:06 AM , Blogger Bearette said...

And their vanilla softserve cones aren't bad either ;)

 
At 8:36 AM , Blogger Lisa said...

The fries are soooo good. But one of the extras on the SSM DVD freaked me out---when they leave the fries out in a jar for like two months and NOTHING HAPPENS. Not a black spot, not a bit of mold. Nothing.

That's just wrong.

Vanilla soft serve . . . oh yum . . . I can practically taste it, feel it . . .

 
At 9:03 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lisa, I know. It was DISGUSTING!

Enjoy fries every once in a great while and try not to think about it too much.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home