Monday, December 05, 2005

It Moved!

The needle finally moved to the left. I'm down about 3 lbs. Most of it is probably water weight that I was retaining from having so much sodium in my diet (from sodas and prepared foods).

The withdrawal symptoms are finally abating. I still get a headache at about 4.00 p.m. each day, but it isn't nearly so severe. I'm not as tired as I was last week; but I'm not bursting with energy, either. Mostly, I'm feeling a little more even---not the extreme highs and lows from the sugar and caffeine. And I feel a little more focused, less jittery. It hasn't been the dramatic change that I expected, though.

It's definitely been time-consuming, with cooking most of my meals, reading every label at the grocery store, trying to figure out if it's better to eat whole wheat or avoid wheat all together. Is organic sugar okay? What about honey? I've had to adopt a "best effort" attitude to save my sanity. Otherwise, I could spend a day just trying to figure out which loaf of bread to buy---or if I should even buy bread.

Now if I can just resist the maple pecan pie that a coworker brought in . . .

7 Comments:

At 7:13 AM , Blogger Frema said...

Congratulations! This diet sounds like a lot of work; I applaud you for doing your best to follow through.

 
At 7:18 AM , Blogger Lisa said...

Well, it's hopefully going to translate to a lifestyle change and I'm hoping that it will get easier once I figure out some recipes and products to make/get on a regular basis.

 
At 9:12 AM , Blogger bdogg_mcgee said...

Yay! Good for you! I'm glad you're starting to feel better, too. Those withdrawals are hell!

 
At 9:22 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay! We love it when the needle moves left!

 
At 10:13 AM , Blogger Bearette said...

Congratulations! I think the sugar and caffeine are the biggies. I never thought wheat was so bad.

 
At 10:32 AM , Blogger SK said...

Congrats on your progress! I wouldn't be able to make it through the holidays w/no sugar or caffeine! If you find any really great soup recipe's let me know - I'm wanting some soup in this coooold weather. :)

 
At 7:02 PM , Blogger Kim said...

Do I know about the withdrawls. When I stopped drinking soda, I had such bad headaches and was so tired but it passes.

Congrats! Any may your needle move ever more to the left. :o)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home