Monday, November 28, 2005

Whatever

I admit that I read the celeb tabloids. And I like 'em. I know that they are trashy and inaccurate and shallow. And I still read them. Now, I do have my standards: I stick to the glossy weeklies (US, People, Star) and never touch the crazies (National Enquirer and its ilk). But I will read, and even purchase, gossip magazines.

When I do purchase them, they eventually make their way to the lunchroom. And that's where the point of this post begins. Because, see, I've repeatedly had the following encounter with various coworkers:

SCENE: Coworker is sitting at the table with a tabloid in front of her, flipping through the pages.

Me: So what do you think of Jessica and Nick? (Or Tom and Katie or Brad and Angelina---you get the idea)

CW: Oh, this? I was just flipping. These things are so trashy. I don't normally ever read them. But it was sitting here and I forgot my New Yorker/Atlantic Monthly/War and Peace. I don't know why anyone would ever read these magazines. Who cares about these celebrities? I don't even know who you're talking about. Jessica and Nick? I was just looking at the pictures.

Whatever. Just admit that you were reading the magazine and that you are as interested as the rest of us in the celebrity gossip.

Criminey.

4 Comments:

At 3:00 PM , Blogger Bearette said...

Along similar lines...my mom always says she doesn't watch Desperate Housewives, but she sent me an email today talking about Bree and George (by name) ;)

 
At 7:35 PM , Blogger bdogg_mcgee said...

Ha! Amen, sister.

I used to be that way, shying away from the gossip mags, thinking they weren't worth my time.

Now, though, I have embraced my love of gossip and stuff to pollute my brain, and I LOVE IT!!!!

 
At 5:43 AM , Blogger SK said...

I agree. I have been extremely irratable the last 2 weeks b/c the InStyle w/Gwyneth was already in the stores and not in my livingroom!! I called customer service and before talking to anyone heard a recording that said, "Your magazine isn't late until after the first of the month." So I hung up, dissapointed.

I frantically checked my mailbox everyday and it finally came yesterday. Whee! Now If only I could afford People every week! :)

 
At 8:13 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love it when the new People arrives at my library every week. LOVE IT! I grab it before it goes on the shelf. And I sometimes watch E! News. AND I read the celebrity gossip that pops up on my instant messenger.

I think I have confessed thoroughly.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home