Tuesday, June 01, 2010

Grumble, Bitch, Moan

So I turned in a complete draft of one of my prelims. I now have 17 days to get as much done as I can on a draft of the last one. (One has been done for about a year and a half.)

I'm really hoping that my committee takes the attitude, "You've got funding. We can fix any problems with the literature reviews when you are writing the dissertation. Go forth and do research!" Because I have little-to-no wiggle room in my schedule for revisions.

********************

I failed the eye exam for my driver's license today. Badly. I was pretty sure that I was going to. Wisconsin uses the viewfinder machines, so I couldn't cheat and use the peripheral vision from my good eye to compensate for the bad one.

I went to the eye doctor more than a year ago and got a prescription for glasses that for various reasons (weather, money, time, desire) I never filled. Now I have to suck it up and get the glasses. I'm not even all that opposed to wearing glasses while I drive---imagine being able to read street signs!---but I'm not looking forward to spending a couple hundred dollars that I don't have on glasses that I won't really need for the next year. Unfortunately, my license expires in August, so I can't wait until I get back to deal with this.

*********************

A couple hundred dollars that I was hoping to spend on sailing lessons this summer. With the glasses and moving expenses and my general inability to live within my means and only working part-time for the summer, I think sailing might be out this year.

Boo.

**********************

I met with a leasing agent last week to start the process of renting my condo. I'm so sad to be leaving my home! And not at all pleased to have someone else living here---someone who won't care about leaving scuff marks on the walls or scratching the counters or staining the carpet.

I'm not a great housekeeper. I can never seem to clear the clutter or keep up with the dishes and the dog hair. But I take good care of the place. I fret over every bump and scratch and crack. It's the first place that's all mine. And it's the only place that's really mine.

(On the topic of housekeeping: Anyone know a good way to clean off calcium build-up? I tried CLR, and it barely made a dent.)

1 Comments:

At 6:39 PM , Blogger artemisia said...

Yay! Just one more prelim to go! You can totally do this.

Try soaking a paper towel in vinegar and leaving it on the calcium. Then re-wet the towel with vinegar as it dries. It might help.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home