Tuesday, May 11, 2010

An Apology

I'm sorry that you ignored the minimum requirements for the assignment despite having the requirements sent to you by e-mail, posted on the course Web site, reiterated in class, and resent by e-mail.

I'm sorry that you didn't understand that a research paper requires you to do research.

I'm sorry that you decided to treat this course as a blow-off class even though it's required for you to graduate.

I'm sorry that you tried to bullshit your way through the paper and I called you on it.

I'm sorry that I expected you, a college student, to be able to write a clear thesis.

I'm sorry that I expected you to provide evidence to back up your specious arguments.

I'm sorry that I expected you to know how to cite references properly and to format a bibliography.

I'm sorry that I enforced the rules that I said I would enforce in the way that I said that I would enforce them.

I'm sorry that you discovered that your actions have consequences.

I'm sorry that no one ever told you that you have to earn your grades.

I'm sorry that you have to study for the final because you blew off the paper.

I'm sorry that I didn't select your topic, identify and read appropriate research materials, provide an outline, and write your paper for you.

I'm sorry that I thought a college student could write a 5-page analytical research paper in just three months.

Mostly, I'm truly sorry that the rest of you had to read yet another rant from me.

3 Comments:

At 2:54 PM , Blogger artemisia said...

I was positively BITTER by the time my last TA assignment was over. I don't think I could teach. I'd get fired for slapping people.

 
At 8:49 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Oh dear. I can't believe you are still dealing with this. I think the problem actually is the low standards set by your coworkers. If, across the board, students had received the grades they earned then you wouldn't have a line out your office door. But on the bright side, this is your last round, you won't have to deal with their drama next semester!! And there are multiple parties starting tomorrow :)

 
At 4:16 PM , Blogger Lisa said...

I had yet another one e-mail me today about submitting a challenge. I did manage to discourage one---and I'm hoping to do the same to this one---by saying, "Drop off the paper and I'll give an expanded explanation of your grade." Once the student figured out that I had no intention of actually changing the grade, she decided it wasn't worth her time.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home