Sunday, April 04, 2010

Spring Break

I had two goals for Spring Break:

1. Write---and finish---one of my prelim papers.
2. Paint my bedroom.

Guess which one got done.

I did get about five pages of the prelim paper written, although I've already decided to cut a big chunk of that because that section isn't working. But the weather was so nice and I really needed a break and . . . Whatever. I was lazy. I'm having a hard time caring about finishing the prelims and reaching doctoral candidacy when I don't know if I'll being going any further than that. And I don't see the point in being able to say that I'm ABD. To me, that's worse than just getting the master's because ABD says that I was this close to finishing the doctorate and just couldn't cut it.

I need grad school to be over.

In any case, I did work on the prelim paper. But I did a few other things that weren't on the list. Like starting my summer herb garden:


Chives, Rosemary, and Thyme. I still need to get sage and basil.

I also went for a hike with Rowen:



With much help from C. and J., I painted the bedroom:

I'm a little obsessive with the blue tape.


After photos TK. But you can see the color---sage---in the sample on the wall.

And I baked my first cheesecake---a yummy lemon one---which I forgot to take a picture of before C., J., and I devoured it.

I'm not looking forward to going back to classes this week. I have a huge take-home exam due on Tuesday, which I haven't even started to work on, and a conference paper to give on Thursday, which I still need to revise and cut by at least two pages. And we only have about five weeks left in the term, which is both exciting (summer vacay!) and terrifying (I have a paper, a group project, two prelims, and a whole lot of grading to do in five weeks! And I don't have summer plans!).

1 Comments:

At 8:36 PM , Blogger artemisia said...

Yay for non-academic projects! I indulged in a couple of those this weekend, myself.

Yes, it is time for grad school to be over. What are your thoughts on your future plans?

Happy Easter!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home