Wednesday, April 12, 2006

I Am Never Having Children

One day, I may retract that statement. But for now . . . Seriously, how do parents do it? How do they get through months of sleep deprivation? How do they get up every hour to feed, clean, or soothe a bady? How do they deal with the constant crying and then chattering and then whining of their children?

Because after one week with this puppy, I feel like I'm one of the living dead. I have become incapable of functioning in a normal, human way. I can't even have a coherent conversation.

And it's not that this puppy is particularly challenging. He's a normal puppy---needs to pee a lot, wants attention, barks for both.

I'm just not cut out for this mother thing.

6 Comments:

At 8:37 AM , Blogger SK said...

I hear you!!! I don't know how people do it either. I can only stand kids for a few hours and then I'm ready to go home to peace and quiet. Unruly kids with unattentive parents are the WORST. They make me not EVER want kids.

 
At 8:40 AM , Blogger Lisa said...

As sweet as this dog is, I am very much looking forward to the quiet of just Rowen and me.

 
At 11:51 AM , Blogger Frema said...

I think you understand the feelings of a mother more than you think. After all, you did it for Rowen, didn't you? :)

 
At 12:02 PM , Blogger Bearette said...

i fear i'm not either.

 
At 12:43 PM , Blogger bdogg_mcgee said...

My SIL & BIL are going thru that right now. I'm terrified. I was all, "DH, how bout I go back on the Pill??"

I'm only kidding, though. But I'm still terrified. It's like that PostSecret that says, "Even though I love my son, I secretly wish I had my life back." As much as I want a baby, I'm so scared I'm going to resent not being able to do what I want when I want to....

 
At 6:35 PM , Blogger Jay Noel said...

I think it is much more different when it's a child and when it's your puppy. I can't really explain it. When you bring home the baby, the newborn is sleeping most of the time, so you sleep when the baby sleeps. With most children, it only lasts 4 months anyway.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home