Thursday, April 06, 2006

On the Pile

Finished: Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi. So, so very good. Could not put it down and didn’t want it to end. Add this to your Must Read list. Also finished Who Moved My Blackberry? by Lucy Kellaway. Very quick read; only took me about two days. Two days that I will never get back. Don’t bother adding this to any lists, unless you happen to have a Don’t Read list.

Currently Reading: By now, you know that you can’t trust me when it comes to books. The books On Deck from last week? Still On Deck. Instead, I started A Map of Glass by Jane Urquhart. But then I put it down. I’m trying to clean out my To Review pile with a bookapalooza next week, and A Map of Glass needs a more careful reading than I can give it right now. Instead I started How Opal Mehta Got Kissed, Got Wild, and Got a Life by Kaavya Viswanathan, who wrote it when she was 17 years old. So, yeah, I’m going into it with a terrible attitude. I guess I can check “Bitter” off my Spinster Prerequisites Form.

The book I’m really reading, though, is The Spiral Staircase by Karen Armstrong. And I can’t blame Rowen entirely for my lack of sleep. Armstrong left the convent after seven years, and this book is her account of her re-entry to secular life and subsequent struggles with panic attacks and anxiety, as well as her spiritual discernment. Appealing on both a personal and an aesthetic level.

On Deck: See last week.

Added to the pile: Library books and new review books!

Mothers of Feminism: The Story of Quaker Women in America by M. H. Bacon
Imagination & Spirit: A Contemporary Quaker Reader by J. B. Bill
The End of Poverty by Jeffrey Sachs
Look at the Dark by Nicholas Mosley
In Night’s City by Dorothy Nelson

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home