Friday, April 07, 2006

I Did Not Go to the Puppy

So the puppy came to me.

So yesterday, as you may remember, I had a serious case of puppy fever, despite all attempts to convince myself that I cannot have another dog. I tried to put puppies out of my mind (albeit not very hard).

I went home after work and watched an episode of Gilmore Girls. And the story involved a stray dog.

I went to dinner with Lora and LostInTexas. We watched a movie. And there was a supercute beagle puppy in it.

After the movie, LIT drops me off at my apartment, and we see a scrawny little dog on the edge of the parking lot.

That scrawny little dog is now hanging out at my apartment. My neighbors had found him nearby and weren't sure what to do with him, so I took him in for the night. He was tiny and scared and scabby and starving and covered in either motor oil or gasoline or some mix of the two. I rinsed him off, gave him some food, and put him to bed in Rowen's crate. He was mostly quiet through the night, but I didn't get much sleep anyway because I was worried about what I was going to do with him. Is this karma? Or a test?

This morning, he went to the vet, where I found out that he has mange/scabbies and a tummy full of worms. Postvet, he had another bath, this time with puppy shampoo, and some more food, and then it was back into the crate. Unfortunately, I have to keep him crated all the time so that Rowen won't pick up the mange or worms.

He's adorable---sweet, gentle, quiet. As best as the vet could tell, he's about 8 weeks old and is either a shepherd mix or a terrier mix. It's going to be hard to tell for a few more months.

And no, I haven't named him. And please don't suggest any because I'm trying not to get attached and to do the responsible thing.

7 Comments:

At 10:13 AM , Blogger Bearette said...

It was so nice of you to take the doggy in! A picture would not be amiss either...

 
At 10:26 AM , Blogger SK said...

Oh wow.. I thought it was those guy's dog. And I was hesitant to leave you alone with them b/c I wanted you to be safe but then you were talking to them forever and I had no clue you were taking the dog with you! How cute was he, though? Aww.. Lisaaaaaa.... is it fate? Maybe... you big hearted thing, you. :)

 
At 10:40 AM , Blogger Lisa said...

I don't have a digital camera!

Lost---if you are around tonight, can I borrow yours so I can try to get him adopted?

 
At 11:21 AM , Blogger SK said...

Ooh.. yeah, good idea. Don't know if I'll be around tonight, though. Yet another friend of mine had a relationship end last night (that's 2 this week!) so I might be participating in a drunken stooper. If I get home at a decent hour then I'll call you, otherwise I can swing by tomorrow after on my way hom from Lakeline.

 
At 11:36 AM , Blogger Lora said...

Amazing! Fate?

You are welcome to use my camera.

 
At 11:51 AM , Blogger Mike said...

Though he sounds cute, the thing to do is find him a happy home. You don't need the added responsibility and expense when you're heading off to school, but I'll bet when he gets better and starts to play with Rowen it'll be adorable.

 
At 12:32 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

:)

You're the kind of person I'm proud to be associated with, even if it's just online.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home