Wednesday, April 05, 2006

An Ethical Dilemma

Please weigh in on the following:

At my apartment complex, they have the usual dog* rules: scoop the poop, keep them on leashes, and so forth. I mostly follow the rules. Every once in a while, I forget to bring a baggie for scooping (but I always take Rowen to the same spot, so I usually pick it up the next time I'm there). I also occasionally let Rowen off leash to play in one of the grassy "bowls" (rain collection areas) with a couple of other dogs and their owners. She's mostly good about staying in the grassy area; I just have to watch that none of the nondoggy neighbors walk by because she feels the need to greet them with lots of jumping. The grassy area is sort of set back and I haven't seen any of my neighbors other than the other dog owners for weeks, so this really isn't so much of a problem.

Here's my dilemma: One of the other residents has two little dogs---a miniature daschund and a fluffy white thing. He lets them play in the grassy area outside of his apartment (a different area than where Rowen plays). And at least twice now, they've run out into the street when I've walked by with Rowen. I'm not worried about them saying hi to Rowen; both of them put together are only about half Rowen's size. But I am worried about them getting hit by a car. It would be very easy to not see them running out from between the parked cars; I've almost hit another dog in our complex that way.

I've mentioned to the dogs' human that he should really keep them on a leash. He doesn't seem concerned.

So: He's clearly breaking a rule. But it's a rule that I've also broken. And I don't want to ruin the fun for all the other dog owners who are able to keep their dogs under control and out of harm. But I also don't want the dogs to get hurt because he was negligent and I kept quiet.

Should I report him to the apartment management?


*Don't get me started on the unfairness of having a ream of rules for dogs and no rules for the stupid, nasty, dirty cats that walk on my car and harass my dog.

5 Comments:

At 7:36 AM , Blogger SK said...

I can see your dilemma. We recently had notes put on our door, from management, stating that the dog rules are being broken also and if people don't start leashing their dogs and picking up poop they are going to reinstate a monthly pet rent for ALL pet owners, no matter what kind of pet. Naturally, I'm furious at that b/c MY cats (which you know aren't dirty or nasty. I can't vouch for the stupid part..hee) do NOTHING outside and I don't feel I should pay extra b/c other people don't pick up their pets poo. The lady with the yippee chihuaha doesn't pick up poo and lets her dog out with no leash. I've thought about reporting her but then again, I don't want extra attention to my area since I only paid the pet deposit for 1 cat. (Sam's illegal at this point). At any rate, what I wanted to say was maybe you could write the owner an anonymous letter and leave it on his door, stating your concern for the safety of the dogs, kindly requesting he address the matter or it may be brought up to management.

 
At 8:23 AM , Blogger Bearette said...

I think Lost's idea is a good one. But I think I might report it to management just because a lot of horrible things can happen when leashes are off, and that can outweigh the benefits.

 
At 10:10 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's hard to understand a dog owner being unconcerned about his dogs running into the street. Yeesh.

Dog poop pick-up has been problematic in my neighborhood. A furious parent actually stuck a big sign in the ground right next to a large pile of poo that said, "This is a bus stop- PICK UP AFTER YOUR DOGS!"

Can't say I blame her.

 
At 10:26 AM , Blogger Lisa said...

I do try to be good about the poop because I don't want to be stepping in it, whether it comes out of Rowen or another dog. And some days it can be like negotiating mine field.

 
At 12:29 PM , Blogger Bearette said...

Once I saw a dog poop in the middle of the sidewalk, and the owner giggled and told me, "I don't have any more paper. She went at two thirty, and I thought she was done!" Most NYC'ers seem to be religious about scooping, though, which is good considering all the foot traffic.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home