Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Calorie Amnesty Day

I'm declaring today Calorie Amnesty Day. Calories consumed today just don't count. Because, really, the only way I'm going to get through today is to have an IV of chocolate dripping directly into my veins.

I went to bed entirely too late last night because I have, once again, gotten myself sucked into meetings. Why, oh why? When I signed up to do book reviews for a local Web site, no one mentioned meetings. Nor did anyone mention that these meetings would start twenty minutes late because three-quarters of the"staff" members have no access to anything that could possibly tell time or provide directions to the meeting location and then go on forever because agendas are for losers and color commentary from the peanut gallery is required every three minutes.

So I got home at about 10.15 p.m. Which is about an hour past my bedtime. And I came home to a puppy with a severe case of cabin fever. Poor thing. The weather has been miserable since Friday, so Rowen's gotten zero exercise since Friday. I suck. I know. And I knew that I wouldn't get any peace last night unless I let her run out her energy for a few minutes at least.

I have a new neighbor and she has a new puppy---some sort of Scottish Terrier-type dog---an itty bit little thing---10 lbs at most, soaking wet---but very friendly and playful, name Tyra. Rowen and Tyra took to each other almost immediately. Tyra, of course, prefers when I have ahold of Rowen's leash so that she can jump up on Rowen rather than vice versa. Well, last night I let Rowen run free. And run she did. Back and forth like a maniac. She definitely has some greyhound in her. And ifTyra happened to be between where Rowen was and where she wanted to be . . . well, Rowen would just jump right over Tyra. Except that Rowen isn't the most coordinated of dogs. So she sometimes jumped into Tyra or onto Tyra. She did sometimes make it over Tyra, but then Tyra would get herself tied up in Rowen's leash and be dragged behind as Rowen set some new world records for the 50 m dash. To Tyra's credit, she never lost her spunk.

Rowen, however, did run off enough energy to let me sleep all night.

Today, Rowen is at the doggy day care. I haven't taken her in a while because it's expensive: both the actual cost of the day care and the vet bills for whatever Rowen picked up from the other dogs. But we're supposed to have nothing but crappy weather for another three days, so I sucked it up.

Rowen isn't the only one suffering because of the weather. If I don't see the sun soon, I'm going to need some happy pills.

So I'm tired and cranky today. And I really want to crawl back to bed with a pint of Ben & Jerry's ice cream, a bag of M&Ms, a cannister of Utz chips, and a plate of chocolate chip cookies.*

Except that I've started putting on weight. Again. Gah! Stupid metabolism. Every time I hit as high as I think I can go, I go a little bit higher.

Wow. Sorry for the downer entry.

I wonder if I could fake an illness and go home early.


*C'mon! Someone throw me a bone. Or, preferably, some free ice cream, candy, and chips.

10 Comments:

At 10:08 AM , Blogger Frema said...

Mmmm.... Ben and Jerry's. Do me a favor and have enough for both of us.

 
At 10:30 AM , Blogger SK said...

Let's go walking Sunday or Saturday morning (although Sat it has to be early like probably 7 or 730)!! I need to kick start my cardio too... Gotta get in shape! Soon!

 
At 10:44 AM , Blogger bdogg_mcgee said...

I'm sorry you're so blah. I've been the same way this week. I bitch and bitch because "it's not winter!" and then when it does get cold and grey I whine that the sun isn't out and it's depressing me.

I'm glad Rowen has a friend, though! And if I lived in Austin I'd meet you at home this evening with a plate of chocolate-chip cookies, and we could watch TV and veg out.

Man...I miss having girlfriends who live in the same city as me!

 
At 11:56 AM , Blogger Diane Arias said...

I am SO relieved that it's Calorie Amnesty Day... I inhaled a good portion of the D.D. Munchkins I took over to Lost a Sock's this morning. Phew.

 
At 12:56 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Guess what? There's a new dog in our neighborhood (now Alex's good friend) that looks so much like Rowen. Also, her owner kind of resembles you (from what I remembered of Bearette's TX pictures), so for a minute there I wondered if you had moved back to the area! ;-)

 
At 12:57 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Then I found out the dog's name is Lacey, not Rowen. :)

 
At 1:07 PM , Blogger Frema said...

Amen to that, bdogg! I've lived away from my core support group since I left high school.

 
At 1:16 PM , Blogger Lisa said...

Liz---You need to post a picture!

 
At 7:18 PM , Blogger Bearette said...

does Tyra look like Tyra Banks?

;)

 
At 7:29 PM , Blogger Lora said...

That was me today too. Just think we use to make it through whole seasons of weather like this up north.

I've managed to avoid a chocolate binge, but I stopped in for one of my guilty junk foods: Sonic's banana cream pie shake. It definitely helped.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home