Thursday, March 16, 2006

Can You Feel the Love?

I can! Thanks to all of you for being so supportive and wonderful during the craziness that was grad school applications. It's finally over, and I'm going to Wisconsin. Which is a good school. And I've heard great things about Madison. And now I have an excuse to buy a cute wool peacoat and knit more scarves.

I'm absolutely exhausted today. I surprised even myself with how upset I got about the UT decision. With a slightly clearer head, I can see that it wasn't really about not getting into UT---or at least, not entirely about that. It was the ego blow of getting rejected by two schools at a time when I'm already feeling lousy about myself. And it was the frustration of finally feeling that I'm settled in Austin and then having to leave, a feeling I've had too many times before. I'll hate, hate, hate a place (Paris) or a situation (teaching), and I'll decide to leave---only to hit my groove right before it's time to go and wish I had hung on for just a little longer. And it was the stress and fear of having to start all over. Again. And it was the release of nine months of nervous energy.

So I spent yesterday eating way too many cookies while laying in bed and watching DVDs. I thought about taking today off, but decided I'd better get my butt into work. As it is, I'm 8 hours behind this week. And I may leave early today and tomorrow. Fortunately, I came up with a good "sick" story---cluster migraines---that sets me up for an easy out if I need to go home and lets me take it easy while I am at work. And it's not entirely untrue. I have been having some nasty headaches for the past five days, mostly from tension.

Anyway, grad school is decided. I'm going to Wisconsin. Go Badgers!

Now, onto my next decision: Do I stay in Austin until the end of the summer or go to live with my parents when my lease is up in June? I'm working on a pro/con list. I'll post it later today.

10 Comments:

At 8:37 AM , Blogger Bearette said...

Huh. I guess Austin will be hot in the summer, but I might come in July, and you might get claustrophobic living with your parents. However, you might save $.

 
At 8:40 AM , Blogger SK said...

Stay in Austin! Stay in Austin! Oh, sorry.. let me stop jumping up and down.

You know, Lisa, seriously with all the anguish your mum causes you I don't know that it would be emotionally healthy for you to do that right before moving to a new place. You would probably save money by going back to your parent's house but would it be worth in the long run? You could probably do a month to month at your place until you leave and then still get to do whatever you want, whenver you want.

 
At 10:13 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Go Badgers! Has Rowen ever played in snow before? I bet she'll love it. And you'll be able to ship delicious cheese to all of us.

In social work we had a fancy name for pro/con lists: force field analysis. Now you can impress everyone in Wisconsin ever more!

 
At 10:15 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I meant to say "even" more, but "ever" more sounds ever so much better. ;)

 
At 10:17 AM , Blogger Lisa said...

Rowen has not encountered snow. She is going to go nuts!

I might have to get her a fleece---she has such thin fur and is so skinny. On the few cold days that we did get this winter, she was just shivering!

 
At 11:52 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

We tried to get Alex to wear little booties so he wouldn't step in the salt & chemicals and track them all over the house. Unfortunately, he staged a protest... and won.

 
At 12:18 PM , Blogger Lisa said...

Rowen won't be thrilled by the fleece, but I got her to wear a pumpkin costume---and antlers!---so . . .

 
At 12:28 PM , Blogger Bearette said...

hehe...ever more. or nevermore, like the raven.

the cheese sounds good. and there's that book set in wisconsin. the dive off clausen's pier. it was pretty good. i can see why you like austin, though. it's cozy.

 
At 2:28 PM , Blogger Frema said...

I agree with Lost. The anguish you might experience from being in such close proximity to your mother is not worth the few hundred dollars you'll save on rent. Maybe you can get a job at Madison for the summer or move into the dorms early?

 
At 10:56 AM , Blogger Lora said...

Stay in Austin!!!

From everything that's been said so far about your family relationships, I strongly encourage you to stay in Austin. Your peace of mind is most important and from what you've said about your love of change, I think the additional upheavels will just stress you out more.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home