Monday, February 06, 2006

Oops, I Did It Again

A little more than a month ago, I watched the Rose Bowl. Or at least, all but the last 10 minutes of it. And I apparently missed the best 10 minutes of college football. Ever. Not that I would have had much to compare; the Rose Bowl is the only college football game I've ever watched. But even though I'm not a fan of UT or college football in general, I was kind of bummed that I missed the action.

Fast forward to the Superbowl. I'm not much of a pro football fan, either, but the Steelers were in the game and I felt obligated as a Pennsylvanian to support them. My original plan was to leave at halftime (I was watching at my friend A's house), but the score was close and in the back of my mind, I kept thinking of the missed 10 minutes. Did I really want to be the only person in North America who didn't see the big play? Plus, I wanted to watch Grey's Anatomy after the game to find out what a Code Black is (turns out it's a very good plot twist in a very mediocre show with many, many annoying characters).

Fast forward again to the end of the game. Or, the end of the game as we were watching it. A and I are the worst sports fans. Ever. By halftime, we had taken out craft projects---knitting for me, needlepoint for her---and were paying much more attention to yarn, craft catalogs, and our puppies than to the game (have I mentioned lately how adorable Rowen is?). Every so often we would remember that there was a game on the television and realize that we had missed something important like a touchdown. Fortunately, A has one of those new fangled digital systems, so we could rewind. So by the end of the game, we were actually about 10 minutes behind real time.

Then, with two minutes of the game left to watch, A sat on the remote control, turning off the television. And although her digital thingy let us rewind and fast forward, it was not actually recording the game. When we turned the television back on, the game was over and the confetti was raining down. And we had no idea what had happened. It took a good minute for us to figure out who had won.

As far as I can tell, the last two minutes were about as uneventful as the rest of the game. Is it just me or was this a very meh Superbowl? With the exception of one conversion breakaway (look at me talking the talk!), nothing really exciting happened. The halftime show was good but unexceptional. Even the commercials were bland (except for the Sprint "crime deterrent" one---hee!).

Tangentially, I decided last night that I would make an excellent sports widow. I really wouldn't care if my man wanted to spend a whole day parked in front of the televison watching games. So long as he isn't mortified when I break out the knitting mid-game.

3 Comments:

At 1:37 PM , Blogger Bearette said...

You lost me with the conversion breakaway ;)

I missed the first half of Grey's Anatomy, but I did like it (though Christina Ricci was annoying).

 
At 1:41 PM , Blogger Frema said...

I didn't catch any of the game--Luke and I were driving back to Indianapolis for most of it, although he turned it on a couple of times when we got back.

 
At 1:54 PM , Blogger Lisa said...

I thought CR was the only good part of the show.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home