Monday, January 30, 2006

Veni, Vidi, Ceni

So I’m not so sure about my Latin. But I am fairly certain that I gained 10 lbs this weekend. But all in the spirit of friendship and fun. And we all know that food eaten with fellow bloggers doesn’t have calories.

Friday night, I was definitely nervous about meeting everyone. And worried what they would think of Austin. After weeks of fantastic weather, we had a cold front on Friday that dropped the temps near freezing and brought high winds. I even tried lighting a fire in the fireplace (tried being the operative word---not sure whether to blame the overpriced firestarter cakes, the overpriced logs, or the poor excuse for a former girl scout). Then, Saturday morning, I woke up to pouring rain. Great, I thought. It hasn’t rained in Austin in months. Bah!

But I should have remembered: rain is a good omen (and the only really ironic statement in the Alanis song).

Putting aside my grumbles, I changed into my yoga clothes and went to meet Bearette at her hotel. She looks exactly like the photo on her blog. And she was exactly as I would have expected: friendly, fun, energetic, and bendy. And definitely dog-crazy! We went to a morning yoga class that turned out to be a perfect introduction to my navigational skills (we got lost a block from the studio---I don’t think I ever earned the orienteering badge) and to Austin. The instructor, Summer, embodied the spirit of an Austinite: friendly, warm, and free-spirited. Her class wasn’t as vigorous as Bearette or I would have liked---she preferred to let us do “whatever feels good” and “play with the poses”---but it was a cozy studio and a relaxing way to spend a rainy morning.

After the class---and a hug from the instructor---the rain had stopped but the sky was still cloudy. So I called off the dog park on account of mud, and Bearette and I went to Kerbey Lane Cafe for lunch. Bearette had flautas (described on her site) and I had my Austin addiction: migas with queso. We talked about our blogs, writing, yoga, Austin women vs. New York women, pregnancy, and so many other things.

That night, I proved my directional prowess once again by driving right past the Sweetish Hill bakery three times in an attempt to pick up a birthday cake for Bdogg. Then it was off to get Bearette again to go to dinner. We got there super-early (I tend to do that---sorry, Bearette!), so we had tea at a local coffee shop and lusted after the cute cookies.

Finally, it was time for dinner! Lora was the first person we saw. Again, she looks exactly like she does in her blog pictures. Next was LostInTexas (whom I had already met), New Mezger, and NM’s hubby. In quick succession came Bdogg and her DH and Crystal and Justin. Bearette's husband, Capybaras United, was still MIA---and Bearette and I were getting a little worried that he might have biked to San Antonio---but he arrived shortly after we were seated. I can’t even begin to summarize the conversations. They ranged from a stomach full of olives to puppy love to Tex-Mex food to handguns to electric bills. My head was spinning by the end of the evening. And that was before the cake was served---with it’s absolutely decadent fudge icing. I’m a champion chocolate eater, and I couldn’t finish my slice. Fortunately Bearette stepped up to finish off my leftovers (as well as others’! But where does she put it? She’s a twig!).

The dinner went by entirely too quickly---even though we closed out the restaurant. I said goodbyes to New Mezger and Bdogg and their DHs as they were leaving early on Sunday, and I made plans to see everyone else the next day.

Sunday was more typical Austin weather: sunny and warm. So Bearette finally got to meet the infamous Rowen. We took a walk along Town Lake, which was full of bikers, runners, walkers---and dogs. Rowen demonstrated her Woody Allen impression and showed Bearette how good of a swimmer she is.

The last blogger-related event of the weekend was meeting Crystal, Justin, LostInTexas, and Capybaras at Kerby Lane for a lunch redux. Rowen and I couldn’t stay, but we hung out in the parking lot for a bit while Rowen lapped up much attention from everyone and showed off her good obedience skills (as well as her magic tricks when she somehow unlatched part of her halter).

Then it was back home for a nap---this introvert was T-I-R-E-D! But the weather was entirely too perfect to stay home for long. Rowen and I---and apparently all of Austin (was there a memo?)---went to the dog park for a couple hours. Rowen swam, fetched, ran, tugged---her usual energetic, outgoing self. She also did me proud by showing her good manners when we took a short walk on the park trail: She sat and stayed at the side of the trail to let others pass the other direction, and one passerby said that Rowen was the best behaved dog at the park! She really is a much better dog than I give her credit for. At the end of the trail is a small waterfall and a place for the dogs to swim. Rowen did her thing, while I sat on a rock and enjoyed a fantastic Sunday afternoon.

If I get to pick my heaven, that’s exactly what I want: to sit in the sun on a warm rock next to a waterfall emptying into a small pool with lots of dogs and friendly people running about, everyone just happy and pleasant and quietly enjoying the day. Well, I might add an unlimited supply of cupcakes and ice cream. And Bradley Cooper.

Finally, exhausted and a little muddy, I wrapped up my weekend by reading a little of The Voyage of the Dawn Treader (possibly my favorite of the series so far, although I also really liked The Magician’s Nephew---both have a more fantastical, magical aspect to them than the others) and rewatching Alias, Season 2.

Now, even though I’m at work, I’m still on a bit of high from the weekend and so looking forward to seeing everyone again (and listening to the fantastic CD that Crystal made for us). I’m just thrilled that everyone turned out to be as nice as they seem on their blogs. Possibly more so. Not a single serial killer in the bunch.

At least, that we know of.

12 Comments:

At 11:14 AM , Blogger Bearette said...

hehe...maybe you can eat your cupcakes off bradley cooper's chest!! ;)

definitely not a "twig" any longer...my jeans are tight. guess it's stretchy pants for a while...grr.

but definitely worth it!!!

:)

 
At 11:16 AM , Blogger Bearette said...

i love that cd too.

 
At 11:33 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I saw some pics over at Bearette's, and your local dog park looks awesome! I wish there was a place to swim at the one near us.

Also, the pics at Dogster are so adorable. Was Rowen a puppy then, or is she one of those dogs that just looks eternally puppyish?

 
At 11:46 AM , Blogger Bearette said...

She's a sweetie.

 
At 12:41 PM , Blogger Lisa said...

Most of the Dogster pics are from when she was about 6 months. I need to update them because she's grown some and her face has matured a lot. Although I do think she'll always be mistaken for a puppy because she's so small for her breed.

 
At 1:31 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love Rowen! She's too cute for words.

 
At 9:04 PM , Blogger Lora said...

It's been so long since we've had rain that I think many of us just didn't know what to make of the deluge we got on Saturday. As much as I'm enjoying the sunshine, I'm hoping for lots more. Otherwise summer will be unbearable.

Rowan is adorable.

 
At 9:05 PM , Blogger Frema said...

A meeting of the Internet minds. How exciting! Maybe one day there'll be a Midwest edition sometime soon. :)

 
At 4:18 AM , Blogger SK said...

I had a great time too!! And I love Rowen. I wonder if she'd get along w/my cats? =)

 
At 6:43 AM , Blogger bdogg_mcgee said...

What a great weekend! I had so much fun meeting all of you!!! :)

 
At 8:41 AM , Blogger Diane Arias said...

Lisa - I just sent an email to explain the disappearance of my blog... hope it makes some sense. :\

 
At 9:00 AM , Blogger Diane Arias said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home