Tuesday, January 31, 2006

On the Pile

What is wrong with me? Seriously.

I have three books that I have to have read in less than two weeks. So far, I’ve read about 10 pages of one. I have (had) seven library books at home, most of which won’t get read before they have to be returned. And I have piles and piles of my own books that I haven’t yet read. So what do I do?

I go to the library and get four more books.

Finished: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader by C. S. Lewis. Absolutely my favorite of the series (so far). I found myself comparing Lewis to Tolkien during much of this book, perhaps because VDT most closely resembles the Lord of the Rings trilogy. Except that Lewis accomplishes a similar epic journey with a fraction of the words. His words are concise and concrete enough to create the outline for your own imagination, whereas Tolkien painted the whole picture. I think I like Lewis's approach better. I also found myself referring back to what I’ve read so far of A Short History of Myth, particularly about using myths to describe the journey back to Eden. Anyway, VDT---so very, very good.

Now Reading: The three books I have to read---L’America, Elements of Style (RIP Wendy Wasserstein), and Man of My Dreams.

On Deck: TBD. I really want to get back to A Short History of Myth, The Penelopiad, and The Odyssey. But . . . I have that pile of library books that needs reading. On top of that pile are The Golden Compass and The Mind of the Maker.

Added to the Pile:
* The Forsyte Saga by John Galsworthy (recommended by Mike)
* The Dog of the Marriage by Amy Hempel (chosen solely for its title)
* Plan B by Anne Lamott
* McSweeney’s Enchanted Chamber of Astonishing Stories (chosen solely because it has a story by Margaret Atwood)

5 Comments:

At 9:27 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ooooh, The Golden Compass...Philip Pullman's response to the Chronicles of Narnia. I LOVED the His Dark Materials series! Enjoy!

 
At 10:18 AM , Blogger Lisa said...

I got it based on your recommendation, actually.

 
At 11:10 AM , Blogger Bearette said...

hehe...dog of the marriage. i wonder what that's about.

can't wait to read the curtis sittenfeld book! lucky duck, reading it early ;)

 
At 9:34 PM , Blogger Lora said...

You need to "read" Elements of Style. That's a grammer book isn't it? What torture. As for me I'd return all the libary books, except for the Atwood, and focus on the good stuff. I'm a horrendously slow reader so having thirteen plus books in my to-read list would just send me over the edge.

 
At 7:06 AM , Blogger Lisa said...

It's a different Elements of Style---a novel, not a grammar guide.

Although, for the record, I've read the grammar guide one about a dozen times. Voluntarily, Because, yeah, I'm a nerd.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home