Monday, November 21, 2005

A Question

So almost two months ago, I was having dinner with a friend and the subject of the holidays came up and she invited me to have Thanksgiving dinner with her family at her house. I'll be an orphan that day, so I accepted.

I haven't really had any contact with this friend in the meantime---just a couple of voicemail messages back and forth. No mention of T-day dinner since that one conversation.

It's now three days until Thanksgiving. Would it be rude of me to call her and ask about the dinner? I've always been taught not to invite myself and I don't want to put her in an awkward position. But I also don't want to spend the day alone. Should I just make other plans? Call? E-mail?

What would you do?

8 Comments:

At 11:01 AM , Blogger Frema said...

Well, you were invited, so I don't think it's at all pushy to ask if your plans still stand. I hope you have a great day!

 
At 11:03 AM , Blogger Kim said...

Tough. I say just be honest with her.

"Hey, I know we discussed a while ago me coming for Thanksgiving but I wasn't sure if your plans had changed since then. If so, no problem. I'll just spend the day of thanks by having one of my Healthy Choice turkey meals that that taste like crap and crying myself to sleep because I'm so alone."

You know, something like that.

 
At 12:39 PM , Blogger Bearette said...

Kim - LOL.

Lisa - I would say it's fine to check with her. You could just drop a casual-sounding email, like, "I was just wondering if we're still on for Thanksgiving; if not, just let me know" or something like that. It would be weird of her to back out anyway - how much difference does one person make? I think you're well within your rights to ask.

 
At 8:35 PM , Blogger SK said...

Hey, I'll be alone too! Maybe we can go to the Alamo drafthouse and have turkey and beer. ;)

I decided that i'm not going to be depressed about that either. At first I thought no way can I be alone on thanksgiving, much like I dreaded my 30th bday this summer and wanted everyone to pretend it didn't exist, BUT- it's just another day!

 
At 7:00 AM , Blogger Lisa said...

Well, I did call and I now have dinner plans.

But, LostinTX, do you want to get together for brunch on Thursday? I'm sure we can find someplace that's serving beer and turkey early!

 
At 7:04 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad you rescued your plans.:-)

 
At 11:11 AM , Blogger SK said...

I'll email you later this evening and we'll figure something out :) I don't checked around to see what's open but knowing A-town there is bound to be something.

gotta run to school but have a great day.

 
At 11:12 AM , Blogger SK said...

I meant I haven't checked around...

yeah, i'm going to college to work on my grammar. Hee!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home