Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Operation Fug

So I know that I should be grateful that Jessica Simpson took time out of her hectic shopping schedule to visit kids in Africa and to promote Operation Smile, which is a very worthy cause.

But did she really think this was an appropriate outfit to wear while visiting an African village?



Because first of all, she's in Africa, not at a powwow. Second, that's gotta be way hot, temperature-wise---boots and a long-sleeve turtleneck? Third, um, did no one read the appropriate dress section of the guide book? A skirt that short is going to get the girl a reputation---and not in a good way. And finally, would it have killed her to try to respect the simplicity and poverty of the people's lives? This is a charity mission, not a fashion shoot.

Say what you will about Angelina,* but at least when she goes someplace, she dresses simply and appropriate to local standards.

And, yeah, I'm touchy about this.

* I actually have great respect for the work Angelina Jolie has done for humanitarian causes, even if I question her adoptions and love life.

6 Comments:

At 12:39 PM , Blogger Bearette said...

It's a nice picture of the woman in the doorway. I like her smile :)

I'm not a big Jessica Simpson fan, but...that's probably the longest skirt she owns.

 
At 12:48 PM , Blogger Lisa said...

Just six months ago she was photographed all over the place wearing those awful Olsenesque hobo skirts. Surely she still has a few of those in her closet.

I used to kind of like Jessica---she was kind of the anti-Britney. Talented, sexy without being a total skank, comfortable with having a semi-real body, and not giving any fodder to the paps. What happened?

Oh yeah: Papa Joe.

 
At 1:48 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

So Jessica is just partially a skank?

 
At 4:35 PM , Blogger SK said...

I'm with you! (And not just b/c we're both in ATX :) )
And she's giving Texas a bad rep!

 
At 6:54 PM , Blogger Sambo V. said...

I totally agree with you! I went to Tanzania in August of 2004 and helped build houses for Habitat for Humanity and you have to dress appropriately. It is all about respecting their different culture. Although Jess' intentions were good, but she didn't do her homework! Honestly, what kind of person visits Africa wearing their bling?

 
At 8:09 PM , Blogger Bearette said...

I guess I have mixed feelings. Total skank, yes. Still nice of her to visit Africa, though.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home