Friday, November 18, 2005

Pumpkin Polenta

Which is much tastier in reality than in theory.

Recipe is from Everyday with Rachel Ray; I made the veggie version. And it turned out scrumptious. I totally cleaned my plate. Easy to make, but the polenta can be messy because it tends to splatter when boiling.

Vegetarian Pumpkin Polenta with Spinach and White Beans

2 Tbs olive oil (RR recommends extra virgin; I used regular, cheapo stuff)
1 medium onion, chopped
1 14-oz can white beans/cannellini, rinsed and drained
3 c. vegetable broth
2 Tbs unsalted butter
1 14-oz can pumpkin puree
1 c. quick-cooking or instant polenta
1 Tbs thyme (RR uses fresh; I used dried)
Salt & Pepper
1 c. Pecorino Romano
2 garlic cloves, chopped
2 10-oz boxes frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
1/4 tsp nutmeg

**You could probably omit the cheese to make it vegan (and swap magarine for the butter, obviously), but for me, the cheese made the dish.**

1. Heat the olive oil in a medium skillet; cook the onion and garlic over medium heat for about 3-4 minutes.
2. Stir in the white beans and spinach; heat through.
3. While the beans and spinach are heating: In a large saucepan, bring the vegetable stock and butter to a boil.
4. Stir in the pumpkin; return to a boil.
5. Whisk in the polenta and stir until it thickens (about the consistency of cream of wheat or grits), about 2-3 minutes. Watch for splatters!
6. Remove the polenta from the heat; stir in the thyme, salt, pepper, and cheese.
7. Season the beans and spinach with salt, pepper, and nutmeg.
8. Spoon the polenta onto plates; top with spinach and beans. Garnish with parsley, if you so desire.
9. Eat.

Next on my recipe list: Pumpkin Pie topped with Cinnamon Struedel; Spiced Pumpkin Bread.

And I'm trying to find pumpkin leaves so I can make a relish that we used to eat in Malawi: pumpkin leaves, tomatoes, and onions sauteed together.

6 Comments:

At 8:21 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mmm, that sounds delicious! I wish I had something lovely and warm like that for my lunch today. It is COLD!

 
At 9:26 AM , Blogger Bearette said...

That does sound good! That recipe is actually in her magazine, but I haven't made it yet.

 
At 9:31 AM , Blogger Lisa said...

That's where I got it---the magazine.

 
At 4:55 PM , Blogger Bearette said...

I'm planning on making this soon, but I found out pecorino romano costs $6.49 at my supermarket. Ye gads and little fishes! I think i will substitute plain old romano ($3.49).

Let me know if this will do anything dreadful, like turn the whole thing into cyanide.

 
At 4:56 PM , Blogger Bearette said...

Also, Lisa, did you use 1 tablespoon of dried thyme, or did you reduce the amount because you were using dried instead of fresh?

 
At 8:18 AM , Blogger Lisa said...

I made a half recipe ('cause there' just me to eat it!), so I used 1/2 Tbs. I forgot about reducing for dried vs. fresh. It came out fine, though.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home