Tuesday, November 15, 2005

I've Done a Bad Thing

A very, very bad thing.

I broke my promise about not buying any more books. But I did it for medicinal purposes. So that's okay, right?

On my way home from the evil, awful, horrid GRE, I stopped for some comfort food (brownie, German chocolate cake, potato latke) and brainless reading (US and People). But while I was in the bookstore, feeling like my entire reality had come crashing down around me (I used to be smart!), I decided that I needed more than glossy magazines to make me feel better. I needed a book. A fun book. Something to remind me of all that is absurb and silly and good about life. And something that wouldn't tax my poor, suffering brain too much.

So I got Bloodsucking Fiends by Christopher Moore. Lamb had me laughing outloud so hard that my sides hurt and tears ran down my face. Practical Demonkeeping made me smile and kept me turning the pages even though the writing was not particularly good. The description of Bloodsucking Fiends:

Jody never asked to become a vampire. But when she wakes up under an alley Dumpster with a badly burned arm, an aching neck, superhuman strength, and a distinctly Nosferatuan thirst, she realizes the decision has been made for her.

Making the transition from the nine-to-five grind to an eternity of nocturnal prowlings is going to take some doing, however, and that's where C. Thomas Flood fits in. A would-be Kerouac from Incontinence, Indiana, Tommy (to his friends) is biding his time night-clerking and frozen-turkey bowling in a San Francisco Safeway. But all that changes when a beautiful undead redhead walks through the door ... and proceeds to rock Tommy's life — and afterlife — in ways he never imagined possible.

Perfect for what I needed. So I bought it. Even though I knew it was a very bad thing.

I also got another book out of the library: Bad Behavior by Mary Gaitskill. Because Jennifer Weiner recommended it.

Saturday, I hit the craft store for a combination of Christmas shopping (yarn for two scarves---one will be a dark heather blue and one will be in the Giants' colors---plus needles, a cable stitch holder, crochet needles for finishing and tassles, and a stitch counter) and retail therapy (some stamps, a multicolor ink pad, fabric strips for knitting, foam sheets for I don't know yet). Fortunately, everything was half off.

So do you think I can submit the bills to my insurance plan?

1 Comments:

At 12:07 PM , Blogger Bearette said...

i LOVED "bloodsucking fiends." I skipped a writing class once because I couldn't put it down. I think I read it in one night. unfortunately, it's the only book of christopher moore's that i really dug.

the comfort food sounds good.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home