Monday, February 25, 2008

Persepolis Was Robbed

I guess I shouldn't be surprised that the Academy chose a big-budget, big-studio, cookie-cutter cartoon over an intelligent and artistic independent film. But still . . . Persepolis was so robbed last night.

And I was really rooting for Amy Ryan for best supporting actress, even though I haven't seen Gone Baby Gone yet. I just love her on The Wire.

At least the Academy got best song right. The entire Once soundtrack is gorgeous. And the film is fantastic, too. And how cute was Marketa Irglova? My favorite part of the show last night was when John Stewart called her back out to have a chance to say her thank-yous.

Fashion-wise---Kind of boring, wasn't it? The only actress who really stood out for me was Keri Russell. Everyone else looked nice enough (well, except for Tilda Swinton---what was with the Hefty bag?), but Keri was the only one that made me go, "Wow! She looks fantastic tonight." Of course, I haven't perused all the red carpet photos yet, so . . .

What do you all think of the results?

3 Comments:

At 8:13 AM , Blogger Bearette said...

I had to stop watching Once after fifteen minutes, but I guess I'm in the minority ;)

I actually didn't see a lot of movies that were featured this year. No Country for Old Men seemed to sweep the awards, but it's probably too violent for me. Judging from the clip they showed, Javier Bardem did a good job, though.

I thought Keri Russell looked great, too...I think she had a baby last year. She definitely bounced back.

 
At 9:47 AM , Blogger artemisia said...

Um, thank you for this post! Now I know the Academy awards were last night.

This has not been my week for remembering events...

geez.

 
At 10:55 PM , Blogger Scott said...

I just told someone tonight that Keri Russell was the only one that really turned out.

I was very happy when they brought out Marketa to get a chance to speak after being cut off, that was just wrong.

Hope you are well.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home