Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Enough, Part II

Dear Murphy,

I tried to fight the law, but the law won.

Can this day be over now?

Your bedraggled friend,
Lisa


********************
Seriously, it's been a day when just about everything has gone wrong. The bus was fifteen minutes late this morning---on a day when the wind chill is approximately OMFG COLD (or, more exactly, about twenty degrees below zero)---and I was therefore late, again, for class. I then got paired in class with a girl who is very sweet but very, very dim and either totally stoned or partially illiterate. I spent entirely too much time trying to explain why two dependent clauses do not make a sentence. And the really sad thing? Most of the class was equally confused by this. I decided that the day was definitely going downhill and the best course of action was to go home. So I caught a bus to take me to another bus. Normally I walk about two blocks down a hill to take one bus. But I'm deathly afraid of ice and the entire UW campus is an ice rink because the snow removal plan seems to be "Let's wait until Spring thaw," so I'm trying to walk as little as possible. I thought I'd be clever and take a slightly circuitous but less scary route. Except that plan didn't work out so well because I got off at the wrong stop and wound up walking at least four times further than I would have if I'd just gone to my regular bus stop (or if I wasn't profoundly stupid and realized at the time that I could have waited at that stop for another ten minutes to catch another bus from there). I then had to wait for half an hour in sub-zero weather---again---because after I had trekked across the great Madison glacier, I missed the bus that I wanted.

I thought I'd be safe once I was home, but I just managed to pour boiling water all over the kitchen counter and floor and my feet in ill-advised attempt to make tea.

I think I'll go to bed now. Wake me when it's Spring.

2 Comments:

At 1:51 PM , Blogger Bearette said...

Well, at least you're blogging again.

 
At 11:05 AM , Blogger artemisia said...

Oh, Lisa. I am sorry. Your days SUCKED. I hope Thursday (today) is much, much better!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home