Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Whoever coined the phrase "It's just like riding a bike"

Was an idiot. Or only rode on flat surfaces.


Granted, the coordination/balance thing sticks. But the muscles? Not so much.

As much as I love my new condo (and, oh, I do love it!), the one thing I miss about The Place That Shall Not Be Named is being walking distance from campus. I'm still very close to campus, but 4 miles is a bit too far to hoof it. I have several bus options, but then I'm stuck to the bus schedule, which doesn't always jive well with my class schedule (I get to places either half an hour early or 10 minutes late).

But there is a bike trail not far from me that goes straight to campus.

So I thought I'd dust off the bike. A little WD-40 and some air in the tires and it seems to be doing okay.

Me---I need a little more maintenance. Because despite being up to running almost 3 miles, 3-4 times a week, I could barely do half a mile on the bike. Biking uses a whole different set of muscles---most of which I apparently haven't used in at least 2 years (that's as far back as I can remember not using the bike). My little test run around the block to check the condition of the bike turned into a major workout for me. I was huffing, puffing, and dripping sweat---in under 5 minutes.

And that was without carrying 30 lbs or so of books on my back.

In other condo news, I've narrowed down my paint options for the living room to two colors. I went yesterday and got quarts of three colors, and one was eliminated immediately (it looked nice on the chip but on the wall, it's the color of Velveeta). I'm planning a "Choose My Paint" party for this weekend to get some help with the final decision.

And for my birthday, I got a pretty new quilt for my comfy new bed. Or at least I think the quilt was for me . . .

1 Comments:

At 7:49 PM , Blogger Bearette said...

Is that a Giant Cypress? I have a silver one :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home