Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Chicks and Ducks and Geese Better Scurry

I wish I could tell you something about Oklahoma other than that the Welcome Center isn't pet friendly and there are a lot of bales of hay. But it all sort of went by in a blur as I did my own scurrying to make up for lost time. And I did manage to drive for nearly ten hours and got through the entire state of Oklahoma and a little past Springfield, Missouri, before I stopped. Then I had a nervous breakdown. Which was due in part to Missouri's irritating insistance on marking distances every 0.4 miles. When you've been driving for eight hours and you have 130 miles to go until the hotel, you really, really don't want to see the distance marked so frequently.

So I took things a little easier today. I finished Missouri, which had more hills and curves than I had expected. I was beginning to feel gipped, that I had missed the whole Midwest experience of endless flat roads. Then I crossed the Mississippi River into Illinois. And got to I-55, which may possibly be the most boring road. Ever. It is flat and straight and surrounded by corn that's about as high as a baby elephant's eye. I think I may have lost consciousness several times. By the time I got to Springfield (Illinois, and can't anyone be bothered to come up with original town names?), I had to take a break. So I pulled off into a residential area, and Rowen and I took a short walk around. Other than that, I haven't seen a bit of the states I've been driving through. One of these days I will learn to schedule more time than I actually need so that I can see more than the standard highway greenery.

Tonight, I'm in northern Illinois, in a tiny farm town just off I-39. I've got about 2 hours of driving left for tomorrow. I probably could have made it to Madison tonight, but I would have gotten in too late to get the keys for my apartment and I would have had to unload the car after another long day of driving. So I let myself have one more day.

In other news, I finally called my parents last night. My father acted like nothing had happened; my mother was cool at first and we had a long, drawn-out conversation that ended with absolutely nothing resolved other than her agreeing that she probably should not have not called me and me realizing that she's just never going to change and I'll have to find some other way to deal with the situation. Tonight we went back to our usual denial of any problems. Not ideal, but I made it through the whole day without crying or having an anxiety attack, so I guess it'll do.

The photos are a bit out of order because Blogger is f-ing with me tonight. Sorry.


"My turn to drive?"


















Where did all this stuff come from?














Sleeping Beauty wakes from her first night in a hotel.


















More stuff!


















For the Simpsons fans.



















"Let's go!"


















Mike saves the day! (Lost was a huge help, too, but she wouldn't let me take her picture.)

11 Comments:

At 8:20 PM , Blogger Bearette said...

so wait...she said she shouldn't have called? but i thought you called her. i'm confused :)

anyway, the pix of rowen are cute!

 
At 6:40 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bearette- I think it was, "she probably should not have NOT called".

Rowen looks much happier on road trips than Alex does. :)

 
At 7:15 AM , Blogger Bearette said...

she does look happy. i remember her having a good time in the car when i was in austin. my dog liked the car, too...she used to stick her face out the window and pant with excitement.

 
At 8:47 AM , Blogger Scott said...

Why is there not a picture of you there???????????

Scott

 
At 12:37 PM , Blogger kj said...

what a fine companion rowan looks to be.

i'm impressed with your drive all the way around.

hope today's a day to settle.

kj

 
At 1:21 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope today is more restful for you and Rowen!

 
At 1:26 PM , Blogger Ashley Beth said...

what a pretty girl, being so good in the car and hotel!!

 
At 8:44 PM , Blogger Elsa said...

Rowen looks very happy! Very cute pics!

 
At 8:46 PM , Blogger Elsa said...

I'm glad that things are better between you and your Mom. Maybe in time it will get better...

 
At 9:18 AM , Blogger Lisa said...

Rowen is very well-behaved in the car. She even got to ride in the front seat on Tuesday and Wednesday, which seemed to confuse her at first. But she settled in. She loved the trucks!

Scott---Rowen is the more photogenic of us! And I haven't taught her how to use the camera yet, so . . .

 
At 10:45 AM , Blogger Bearette said...

you're in wisconsin now - i know this from my stats :) have you tried the cheese? i've been eating fresh dates, they rock.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home