Sunday, August 06, 2006

Maybe I Am a Mean Person . . .

So one week from today, I leave Austin. By this time next Sunday, I'll probably be somewhere in Oklahoma. Yikes!

Now, common sense would say that I've spent the past few days packing, hanging out with friends, taking care of last minute chores, seeing and doing all those things I always meant to see and do in Austin.

But no one has ever accused me of having an overabundance of common sense.

This is what I've been doing:

* Going to see An Inconvenient Truth, which was interesting and restored my faith in Al Gore (Damn you, Florida!) but didn't really tell me much that I didn't already know, i.e. that our consumerist lifestyle is polluting the atmosphere and leading to a global warming trend that is disproportianate to expected variations in weather and creating some really f'ed-up conditions, like massive droughts and supercharged hurricanes and Greenland melting.
* Going to see John Tucker Must Die, which was amusing and cute although certainly not a classic of the genre. Wait for the DVD.
* Putting together packages for two swaps, which includes making two journals, because I really needed one more thing to do.
* Starting a new knitting project, even though I have several still on needles, including the gift for my sister's wedding, which was last week. Oops!
* Buying more yarn and a stack of knitting magazines, because exactly what I need is more stuff to pack.
* Watching Law & Order marathons, with the occasional break for a Lifetime movie.
* Letting my mother get to me, even though I keep telling myself I shouldn't.
* Looking around at the piles of boxes and unpacked stuff.
* Sighing.
* Looking at the Target Web site to figure out if I really wouldn't just be better off getting rid of everything and getting new stuff when I get to Madison.
* Wondering for the 1,123rd time if I'm doing the right thing.
* Lying awake a night.

Rowen, being the more sensible of us, is simply hiding in the closet.

1 Comments:

At 10:09 PM , Blogger Lora said...

When else are you going to have a month off.? Enjoy it while you can.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home