Thursday, April 27, 2006

On the Pile

Finished: Maus. Very well written and well drawn. Would actually make a great read for a book group because there’s so much to discuss with the various animal representations and themes of identity, history, family relationships, morality. Also finished A Map of Glass. Or, well, I’m 20 pages from finishing it and will finish it tonight. Feels like I've been reading this book since April 2005. And now I have to figure out a way to review it. Because it’s not bad. But it’s not very good, either. And those are the hardest reviews to write---when I don’t feel strongly about the book one way or another. The writing itself is beautiful, but the characters are underdeveloped, the plot is nonexistent, and the mood is so somber it becomes somnolent. It’s a very Canadian book, but not a very good one. But not awful. Gah!

Currently Reading: Fray. Because I’m a Whedongeek. And as soon as I finish A Map of Glass, I’m starting The Dead Fish Museum by Charles D’Ambrosio; it’s been On Deck for.ev.ah.

On Deck: The Omnivore’s Dilemma by Michael Polan. And to compliment it, I may pull Fast Food Nation and Hope’s Edge off the shelf.*

Added to the Pile: It was a big week for review books.

Halfway House by Katherine Noel
Digging to America by Anne Tyler
Theft: A Love Story by Peter Carey
Generation T: 108 Ways to Transform a T-Shirt by Megan Nicolay
Subversive Cross Stitch: 33 Designs for Your Surly Side by Julie Jackson

I’m expecting some more review books any day now, and I have a full request list at the library, although those are mostly Buffy comics. Because sometimes you just need a little junk food.


*The shelf being the stairs to the loft because I don’t actually have a bookcase.

5 Comments:

At 2:54 PM , Blogger Bearette said...

Just got Persepolis 2 from the library, I can't wait! You were right about Opal Mehta - not worth reading. I have to return that one.

 
At 6:33 AM , Blogger bdogg_mcgee said...

I have Persepolis 2 on my hold list at the moment. I finished Persepolis in a day. Very compelling!

Although, part of me couldn't really grasp the severity of what happened because it was told in comic book form. I think it desensitized me a little. Like if it was a comic then it couldn't have really happened, you know?

I still really enjoyed it, though. Thank you so much for the recommendation!

 
At 7:33 PM , Blogger Bearette said...

Persepolis *was* really good. D thinks that the comic book form is used to mask the sadness. Persepolis 2 wasn't quite as good imho, but still worth reading.

 
At 6:54 AM , Blogger bdogg_mcgee said...

That makes sense, Bearette. I didn't think of it that way.

I'm currently reading Persepolis 2 now, and I don't know, I think I'm appreciating it a bit more, with her identity struggles. It's more relatable, I think.

Lisa, where are you?????

 
At 7:23 AM , Blogger Frema said...

Where are you, Lisa? We miss you!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home