Friday, February 17, 2006

Books and Memes

Two of my favorite things!

Taken from Doppelganger. Even though she didn’t tag me, I couldn’t resist.

1) Name five of your favorite books.

Only five?!

The Egypt Game: I loved this book growing up. It had everything I could want---ancient, mysterious cultures; a little bit of danger; lots of imagination.

The Bluest Eye: I cry every single time I read this. And I’ve read it at least 10 times.

Lady Oracle: Everything I love about Atwood. Laugh-out-loud funny, gut-wrenchingly real, with a touch of modern mythology, all centered on a strong female protagonist.

Collected Poems of Emily Dickinson: Sweet, funny, hopeful, wry, beautiful.

Anne of Green Gables: I wanted to move to Prince Edward Island and become an English teacher after reading this.

2) What was the last book you bought?

Two at the same time---my last purchases before a year of abstinence: The Tent and Life Before Man.

3) What was the last book you read?

Elements of Style by Wendy Wasserstein.

4) List five books that have been particularly meaningful to you (in no particular order).

The Crosswicks Journals: Technically four books, but I’ll count them as one. Somehow, magically, when I was reading these, when I would open the book, it would address exactly what I was going through at that moment.

The Long Loneliness: Dorothy Day is one of my heroes.

We Wish to Inform You That Tomorrow We Will Be Killed With Our Families: Completely floored me.

The Noonday Demon: For the first time, I understood the depression that afflicts so many people in my family.

Amazing Grace: Wow. Just wow. Just . . . everyone in the United States needs to read this. It should be required reading in schools. Really.

5) Name three books you've been dying to read but just haven't gotten around to it?

Only three? There are so many! And, of course, my mind is going blank.

Bird by Bird
Fast Food Nation
The Spiral Staircase


I actually have all three at home. I just haven’t gotten around to reading them.

6) Tag five people and have them fill this quiz out on their own.

I’ll just tag all ya’ll.

5 Comments:

At 8:46 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

These are all going on my "to read" list. Thanks a lot...my list is way too long already! ;)

 
At 9:30 AM , Blogger bdogg_mcgee said...

SO is mine! Damn YOU, Lisa! :)

I feel the same way about Anne of Green Gables. And, a little tidbit about Emily Dickinson poems: You can sing just about any of her poems to "The Yellow Rose of Texas."

Yeah, I was a weird kid.

 
At 10:45 AM , Blogger Lisa said...

Not that I need to add ANY books to my list, but I'm looking forward to seeing yours!

 
At 12:09 PM , Blogger Bearette said...

heh - bdogg, how exactly did you figure that out? ;)

Lisa, of course I will do this meme, but probably when I have a bit more energy. Picking 5 favorite books is a difficult task, you know ;)

 
At 1:13 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lisa, Amazing Grace seems right up my alley. I'm going to put it on my hold list.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home