Friday, January 20, 2006

Weekend Plans

Have you ever wanted to not do anything? As in stare-at-the-walls, only-the-sound-of-your-breath nothing. That was me last night. I could not bring myself to do a darn thing. I didn’t want to craft or cook or read or clean or watch a DVD. I didn’t even want to read the gossip magazines or eat the ice cream that I bought on the way home. And 7 p.m. seemed too early to go to bed. I finally did decide to make a cup of tea and curl in bed with The Voyage of the Dawn Treader, which I realize was not on the pile, but as much as I am loving A Short History of Myth, it requires more concentration than I was able to muster last night (due to the subject not the writing).

And I am loving ASHM. Even if you have no interest in myth, you should read this for the quality of the writing. Armstrong is clear and concise without being dry, thorough without being tedious, intelligent without being pretentious, and accessible without being condescending or flip. There were a few places where she could have provided a little more explanation for those of use who weren’t English or History majors. Still, she would make Zinsser and White proud. Certainly some other authors could learn from her example (Diamond, Grogan---I’m talking to you.)

My lethargy seems to be spreading to my weekend. I’m already paring my activities. But I’m justifying it as conserving my energy for . . . The Great Austin Blogger Encounter!

Just one week to go! Yay!

Friday Evening
* Spinning class.
* DVDs, ice cream, and knitting.

Saturday
* Shopping for the afghan I’m making as my sister’s wedding gift.
* Shopping for supplies for the cross-stitch I’m making as my sister’s shower gift.
* Dog park.
* Rowen’s graduation from obedience classes. Despite acting out scenes from a Woody Allen movie during the past two classes, Rowen is graduating.
* READING!
* DVDs, ice cream, and knitting.

Sunday
* Gym.
* Housecleaning.
* Dog time.
* READING!
* Craft time.

6 Comments:

At 11:20 AM , Blogger Mike said...

Karen Armstrong was one of my favorite parts about Bill Moyers's Genesis: A Living Conversation. However, she does have some jacked up teeth.

 
At 12:14 PM , Blogger Bearette said...

hehe...gotta love a dog who imitates Woody Allen. I wonder if she will take up with a much younger dog?

i was totally lethargic yesterday. i lounged around and watched shaun of the dead.

 
At 12:51 PM , Blogger bdogg_mcgee said...

Shaun of the Dead is the best!

I'm planning on doing pretty much nothing this weekend--maybe a little sewing, but that's IT!

Ahhh...lethargy....

I can't wait for next weekend!! WOO!

 
At 1:45 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

You guys! I have to drive to New Jersey and back on Sunday!

I wish I could join Lisa and Rowen for dog time instead. :)

 
At 3:36 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I love your Friday night...a wonderful threesome of ice cream, knitting, and movies. I'm so excited about next week!

 
At 8:34 PM , Blogger Frema said...

Oh, the Dawn Treader! This book has been on my official pile since July. I should be locked up for literary child abuse. Or Harry Potter favoritism.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home