Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Yummy

Part of my attempt at being a grown-up was to go to the grocery store, buy healthy food, and check whether my oven can handle something other than cookies and brownies.

Here's the first recipe that I tried:

Honey-Ginger Glazed Salmon with Arugula Salad
from Cooking Light (October 2005)

2/3 c. light honey (The recipe calls for sage, but I used clover.)
1/4 c. lemon juice
2 tbsp warm water
1.5 tsp grated fresh ginger (I minced some sliced ginger from a jar.)
1 clove (1 tsp) minced garlic
4 salmon fillets, skinned on one side
1/2 tsp salt
1 tbsp olive oil
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
4 c. trimmed arugula

Combine honey, 2 tbsp lemon juice, water, ginger, and garlic in a small bowl. Whisk until blended. Pour mixture into a 13 x 9-inch baking pan; arrange fish in pan, skinned side up (I accidentally did it skinned side down, and it came out fine). Let stand 20 minutes. Preheat oven to 350.

After 20 minutes, turn the fish over, sprinkle with 1/4 tsp salt. Bake at 350 for 7 minutes. Remove from oven.

Preheat broiler.

Brush fish with honey mixture. Broil 7 minutes or until fish is browned and flakes easily with a fork.

Combine 2 tbsp lemon juice, 1/4 tsp salt, olive oil, and pepper in a bowl (I also added a little garlic ‘cause I love garlic). Whisk until blended. Add arugula and toss to coat.


It came out super-yummy---and I didn't get food poisoning (like I did the last time I tried to make fish), so the recipe is basically idiot-proof.

I think tonight will be orzo with tuna, tomato, and cilantro.

2 Comments:

At 7:24 AM , Blogger bdogg_mcgee said...

That sounds so good!

I don't get to eat fish as much as I used to since the hubby doesn't like it. I figure one day I'm going to make it for dinner and give him no choice to eat it.

Let me know how the orzo dish turns out! I made a pasta dish one time with spinach, orzo, white cannelini beans, and pesto. MMMM!

 
At 8:44 AM , Blogger Bearette said...

Go, you! I love cooking.

Bdogg, that orzo dish sounds really good!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home