Monday, September 26, 2005

On the Pile

Today hasn't been the greatest of days, but at least it has one thing to redeem it: New books came today!

Added to the pile are the following:

The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger
For some reason, I kept resisting this book. Maybe it's the cover. It reminds me too much of Anne Rivers Siddon and Jacqueline Mitchard and that whole oversentimental, woman-in-midlife genre. But the book has gotten good reviews, so I'm adding it to the pile.

Purple Hibiscus by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
We should all read more literature from Africa.

Timoleon Vieta Come Home by Dan Rhodes
This involves a dog and a sad ending, a mix that I'm not sure I should be reading, but I'm a masochist, so . . . I'll just take an extra happy pill that day.

The European Dream by Jeremy Rifken
I'm not sure why I'm reading a book to tell me what I already know: Europeans have a better quality of life than Americans do. I think I just like that the author has the same last name as Sloane. I wonder if they are related.

2 Comments:

At 1:10 PM , Blogger Bearette said...

I avoided Time Traveler's Wife for the same reason. But it's actually pretty good, if occasionally confusing. As you might expect, it jumps around in time a lot

 
At 12:08 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Me too. But maybe I'll check it out... let me know what you think when you're finished.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home