Monday, September 26, 2005

Tip of the Today

Today's handy advice: If you want to apply for graduate school, don't wait 7 years after undergraduate! And don't major in Communications.

I wrote to three professors to request a recommendation, and out of two replies so far, I'm 0 for 3. One replied that she remembers me and would like to highly recommend me but is on sabbatical and leaving the country in two days. Another replied that she remembers me, but doesn't think her recommendation would be creditable because I only had one class with her and it wasn't in my major field. Can't say that I disagree.

Unfortunately, the three professors to whom I wrote are the only ones that (a) I can remember the names of, (b) I can locate, and (c) I wrote research papers for. Somehow I don't think my creative writing professor or martial arts instructor would be appropriate references (although, for the record, I got an A in creative writing; I took martial arts as Pass/Fail and passed).

Wah!

3 Comments:

At 11:08 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, you'd think they would understand that some applicants haven't been in contact with former instructors in a while. :-(

 
At 1:08 PM , Blogger Bearette said...

will they take recommendations from publications you've written for?

 
At 1:30 PM , Blogger Lisa said...

You would think they would understand, but you would be wrong.

I wrote to the graduate advisors for each program and specifically asked whether I could use work references in place of academic references because of the nature of my major and the time since I've been in school. All three programs said that they want at least one or two academic references.

I've got two work supervisors who are writing recommendations for me, and I've asked a third. Still waiting to hear back from her.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home