Thursday, September 14, 2006

Thursday Thirteen: I *Heart* New Paint; Marx and iTunes, Not So Much

Today is Thursday, right?

1. Things are looking up with the apartment.
2. One of the maintenance guys spent four whole days here taking care of most of the items on my complaint list.
3. Never underestimate the power of a coat of paint. I instantly liked my apartment so much more after the kitchen and living room were repainted.
4. My bedroom is still a ghastly shade of seafoam, but the paint was clean and uncracked, so I didn't feel like I could really complain.
5. My landlord still doesn't grasp the idea that if you do a job right the first time, you don't have to repair it as often. For example, he absolutely refuses to use primer. Even though using primer would mean having to use fewer coats of paint, which would mean that the paint is less likely to flake off in six months. Whatever.
6. As for the neighbors, well . . . I got some earplugs. I don't love having to wear them; they make sleeping on my side a little uncomfortable and make my ears a little sore. But I have been able to sleep through the night.
7. Marx. Smart man, but very longwinded. And confusing as heck. The Manifesto of the Communist Party isn't too bad---short and mostly readable---I give the credit to Engels for that. Because Das Kapital? That's just painful. For about 10 pages, Marx goes on and on and on and on about exchange values and how if 10 yards of linen equals the value of 1 coat, then 2 coats are worth 20 yards of linen and so on and so forth and OMG, please don't make me ever read Marx again. I felt better about not understanding Marx's critique of Hegel when the professor said that she couldn't lecture on Hegel because she didn't understand it.
8. Fortunately, most of my other reading is more accessible and more interesting. I'm actually enjoying Malinowski's Argonauts of the Western Pacific.
9. Yesterday, I went to a lecture on the relationship between biodiversity and poverty in Uganda.
10. I really like being in grad school. I may stay in school forever.
11. Last week, I finally got a project assistant position. For 13 hours of work per week, I get my tuition paid, health care, and a monthly stipend! I can't even tell you how thrilled I am. The position itself is interesting---it's an event planning thing---and funding in my department is seriously scarce. So I'm so lucky to get this.
12. For the first time, I'm one of the older folks in a group. Since high school, I've almost always been the youngest in my social and work circles. Most of my friends are older than me, and most of my coworkers have been, too. But I'm on the upper end of the age spectrum in my cohort (first-year grad students in cultural anthropology). It's a strange feeling. Particularly because I really don't feel my age (or look it or act it!).
13. The new iTunes 7 "upgrade" royally sucks. I really only use iTunes for downloading television shows---and really only for Project Runway (and thank goodness Vincent finally got the boot; nobody tell me about last night---I haven't seen it yet!). So it is really annoying that everytime I go to the television section, the program shuts down. And the help section on the iTunes Web site? Could not be less helpful.

9 Comments:

At 6:46 PM , Blogger bdogg_mcgee said...

See, I kinda liked Vincent--well, except for the fact that he said, "it gets me off" about thirty times an episode. That really bugged me.

Jeffrey, however, is a whiny, self-centered prick, who is most likely going to be in the top three because he's good television. (I haven't watched last night's episode either, so I'm assuming hes's still on there)

 
At 7:24 PM , Blogger Bearette said...

Well, I'm glad you like school. And that you got some $$$! Solves a lot of problems.

I remember reading Marxist literary theory in college...stuff about use value and exchange value and how virgins are pure use value. Of course I remember the sex part ;)

 
At 6:12 AM , Blogger Frema said...

Congratulations on the job! That's wonderful news. And it's good to hear you're enjoying grad school and your new fixed-up apartment. Glad to hear everything's finally coming together.

 
At 8:37 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats on your project assistant position! That must feel like a load off.

I may have cried a little during this week's PR aufing. Tell me what you think after you watch the episode.

 
At 9:49 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations on the job! What a fabulous deal. I'm glad to hear the apartment situation is improving, too.

 
At 10:34 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

LB: I've been checking your post every day, hoping to hear more about what's going on with you. Serious congrats on the job; I knew something special would turn up for you. And congrats on getting stuff fixed around your apt. That had to be a pain. Hope all is well w/ your mom.
Glad that you don't have to be here: I've been here 7 years today. We celebrated E's bday yesterday.
Thinking about you--m.

 
At 10:51 AM , Blogger Scott said...

Congrats on the job. That sounds like a huge deal, very cool. Also good to hear that the apartment is getting to be liveable.

Scott

 
At 9:22 AM , Blogger kj said...

so glad to hear your apt is looking up and you got such a good work assignment.

sounds like you can now enjoy being a student in madison!

 
At 4:04 AM , Blogger Eric said...

Congrats on the Assistantship! That is awesome! Glad you are digging the school thang so much and the apartment is better. I figured you'd dig on grad school, from what little I did. The readings will sometimes crawl, but you'll always dig on the discussions probably.
Yes, I agree, iTunes 7 is super lame. I have 4500+ tracks in it now and wish I had been smart enough to find an open source music player before I started my massive library importing program. I'm on a whole anti-Apple tear right now. They had another moment of glory and blew it again in my opinion, couldn't handle the pressure of being a major player and are screwing up their products and business decisions right-and-left. This is from someone who got suckered in hook-line-and-sinker and had an iBook at home, worked on a G4, and whose household has not only a 10GB iPod, but also an iPod Shuffle.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home