Thursday, July 13, 2006

On the Pile

So I think I’ve mentioned my paranoid tendencies. And my recent problems with sleep. So what would be the worst thing I could possibly do? Well, watching a Stephen King movie would definitely be near the top of that list. Not a movie exactly---the first two episodes of his summer series, Nightmares & Dreamscapes. Cree-pee. Cats and kids are seriously freaky. Combining the two? Yikes! Makes me glad I’m a single gal with a dog.

[This is the place where I should put some clever segue to connect this to my weekly reading. Except that there really isn’t any connection. I just wanted to share.]

Finished: Fun Home by Alison Bechdel. Not sure how I feel about this one. Lots of people seem to love it. I’m feeling meh. Maybe I really do need to go back on the happy pills.

Currently Reading: Then again . . . I did finally find a book that held my interest. That kept me up past my bedtime. That I only put down because my eyes wouldn’t stay open a moment longer. A book with well-developed, interesting characters. With likable characters! With a quick-moving narrative that has just enough twists to keep me hooked but not so many that I feel nauseous. A book that makes me laugh aloud and then breaks my heart. What is this miracle book? Power Play by Francine Pascal. (Thanks, Frema!)

Also still reading Somebodies and Nobodies. And Fuller is definitely trying my patience. Because really, this would have made an interesting essay. But as a book, it’s getting very redundant. And in trying bolster his argument, the author is overreaching. Big time.

I’m also on another magazine binge. The most recent Vanity Fair arrived. And really, how trashy is Hillary Swank? So her husband had a substance-abuse problem. Three years ago! And, gee, she conveniently decides the world needs to know just in time to promote her upcoming movies. But I’m sure it was just a coincidence.

And the August Elle came yesterday. Assuring (?) me that the retro-80s trend (leggings with oversized sweaters, ankle boots) isn’t just for crack-addled starlets.

I’ve also got Ode, Utne, Harper’s, Runner’s World, Atlantic, and many others piling up. Including two knitting magazines. Because I have so much time for new projects. Speaking of which, perhaps I need to start doing a regular magazine round-up?

On Deck: All Rise is still waiting. And the more I read of Somebodies and Nobodies, the less enthused I am to start this one. I am eager to start Body Hunters by Sonia Shah.

Added to the Pile: I almost didn’t add anything! The review book is one I had requested back in May and just now showed up. And the other two are books I had taken out from the library and decided that I really needed to own instead.

For Review
Alentejo Blue by Monica Ali

For School (Sort of)
Nuer Dilemmas by Sharon Hutchinson
Perspectives on Africa ed. by R. Grinker and C. Steiner

4 Comments:

At 1:20 PM , Blogger SK said...

I saw the Hillary Swank edition. I was highly dissapointed too.. If you really love someone and still care for them you wouldn't announce all their business to the world.

 
At 1:56 PM , Blogger Bearette said...

it's a good picture of hillary on the cover. i didn't even know it was her. didn't read the article so i can't comment :(

liked your segue and power play review...;)

 
At 7:36 PM , Blogger Frema said...

SVH has gotten me through some tough times. Glad Elizabeth and Jessica) could restore your faith in literature again. :)

 
At 7:28 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hehe... Power Play. I remember reading SVH. :) I always thought it was incredibly cool that Jessica and Elizabeth shared a red Fiat convertible.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home