Wednesday, July 12, 2006

A to Z Meme

A meme from Crystal!

A: If you were an ANIMAL, what would you be?

I’d like to be a dog. My dog, specifically. Because she is adorable and energetic and outgoing and quirky and (almost) everyone loves her. And because she is completely spoiled and gets to sleep all day.

But if I answered this more literally---as in, what animal am I most like---probably an opossum.

B: What BOOKS are on your reading list?

The shorter question is, Which aren’t? But see my On the Pile post. Which will be updated tomorrow.

C: COMPULSIVE about anything?

I don’t know if this is really compulsive or just picky, but I like utensils to be organized correctly in the drawer. It drives me to my last nerve that people at work just shove all the utensils together even though the utensil holder is CLEARLY DIVIDED into areas for each type of utensil. I also don’t like my food to touch, but I’m getting better about that. I check the front door lock and latch about five times every night. I hate being late and will give myself a huge pad of extra time to make sure that I’m not.

I’m sure there are other things, but I can’t think of them right now.

D: Do you DREAM in color? Do you remember your dreams?

Yes and yes. I occasionally have dreams so vivid that I can’t shake them for days. And I’ve woken up crying many a time.

E: What snacks do you usually EAT?

Right now, I’m being saintly and only snacking on unsalted, roasted almonds and Dole frozen whole-fruit bars. But when I’m not crash dieting to satisfy my mother and sister---and because taffeta is just not forgiving---I snack on M&Ms, cheese, mixed nuts, granola bars, cookies, ice cream, microwave popcorn, pudding . . .

F: A few of your FAVORITE things.

Books, of course. And magazines. Chocolate. Ice cream. Utz potato chips. Teen rom-coms (my dad calls them Clearasil comedies). Dogs (especially Rowen!). Bodies of water. Cheese. Gossip. Comfy pajamas. Naps. Pretty paper and craft supplies. Office supplies.

G: Who or what makes you GIGGLE? Do you have a good sense of humor?

I think I do. Rowen makes me laugh at least once a day. Christopher Moore novels. Homestar Runner. Go Fug Yourself. Seth Green. The Daily Show. Lots of other things.

H: Major HOT button.

People who are rude or act entitled. Thoughtlessness. People who don’t follow the rules.

I: I am . . .

So very tired.

J: What is your dream JOB?

Getting paid to do what I do on my blog---read, write, find fun and interesting stuff to share with others, research.

K: Also KNOWN as . . .

Lisa is a nickname. If you really want to know for what, e-mail me. (I’m not embarrassed about my full name, but I do try to keep some anonymity online.) And my dad used to call me (and sometimes still does) Pumpkin.

L: I LOVE . . .

My family. Rowen. Learning. A good night's sleep.

M: How do you feel about MEETING people? Do it all the time, or rarely? Parties or one-on-one?

Meeting new people is very nerve wracking. Although I do seem to do it a lot. I prefer to meet people in small groups (3-4 people) with a mix of people I know and don’t know.

N: What’s the story of your NAME? Were you named after anyone?

My mother got to name my sister---and named her after my maternal grandmother---so my father got to name me. And as far as I can tell, he just picked a name he liked. He tried recently to tell me that it’s a family name, but I had the family tree in front of me at the time and had noted that there are only two other people with my name, going back nearly 200 years. So . . . I got my nickname because my mother didn’t like the name that my father chose. She wanted to name me Lauren. So when they were looking for a diminutive of my full name, she went with the one that was closest to what she wanted and barely related to my full name.

My name has caused me no end of problems. Because most people don’t link my full name with my nickname, I’ve had to explain time and again that both names are for one person. And my last name is rather unusual. And even though it’s all of two syllables and is pronounced just as it’s spelled (and vice versa), people can never get it right.

O: Observe what’s around you right now. What do you see?

A big ol’ mess. I’m at work and I have many things going on at once and I like to have things out where I can see them. I’m a big fan of piles. In front of me is a project I’m working on, a book to review, two cans (Atkins Advantage [lunch] and Diet Dr. Pepper), a list of what I need to order for my roof rack, an empty water bottle, my computer screen, a pile of blank paper, my phone, a rolodex that I’ve never used in two years, a stack of disks that I need to consolidate on CDs, a CD case, and a picture of Rowen.

P: Who are the special PEOPLE in your life?

My family. Rowen (Shut up). My blog friends. My imaginary boyfriend.

Q: Any little QUIRKS about yourself?

This is at least a week’s worth of posts alone. See the compulsive stuff above. I prefer to be barefoot or in flip flops. I’m very weird about food. In addition to the not touching---I like certain foods, particularly fruits, only on their own or in certain circumstances. I like strawberries. And I like strawberry shortcake and strawberry jam. But I hate strawberry ice cream. I like blueberries, but I don’t like them in pancakes or muffins. I like raisins, but I don’t like them in cookies or bread. And so forth . . . I have to wash my face and brush my teeth first thing when I get up. I don’t like to do anything else first. I hate when people talk during television shows or movies. Even though I shed as much as my dog, I’m completely grossed out by loose hair. Especially in the drain. I put everything in piles. Until I had Rowen, I hated getting kisses from dogs; she’s changed that. I strictly follow the arrows in parking lots.

I could go on and on.

R: What do you like to do for RECREATION?

Read. Watch television or movies. Knit. Cross-stitch. Play with paper. Play with Rowen. Walk.

S: Do you SING in the shower? In the car? For friends?

Not in the shower, but I’ll sing little bits of stuff as I’m puttering around my apartment or in the car. I only sing for friends at karaoke. And, of course, at Alamo Sing-Alongs!

T: What’s at the top of your TO-DO list?

Well, I should be finishing some work! I also need to get flea and heartworm meds for Rowen, order my roof rack, change my address for a bunch of things, finish a freelance project, and finish the afghan for my sister.

U: Any UNUSUAL experiences?

Not sure what this question means. Um . . . I was the trading post manager at a boy scout camp for a summer. I spent a year in Malawi. I’ve gone bungee jumping and skydiving. But none of those things are particularly unusual.

Oh, I know one! While I was in Rome, I got to sit at the altar level for a canonization. Afterward, another girl and I “accidentally” wandered into St. Peter’s while it was still closed to everyone but the dignitaries who had been at the event (mostly Spanish royal family). When then really accidentally wound up in the private courtyard behind the basilica and almost went into the VIP party (we left because we very obviously were not dressed for the occasion and figured the Swiss Guard would catch on when we got to the entrance).

Other than that . . . I have a very ordinary life.

V: VEGAS, Vienna, Venice…How far have you traveled? What’s your favorite city?

Probably the furthest distance-wise has been Australia. The furthest culturally was Malawi. My favorite cities: Brisbane, Auckland, Rome, Seattle, DC. I loved Brisbane so much that I extended my trip to Australia for a week so that I could spend more time there.

W: WINTER, spring, summer, fall…what’s your favorite season? What makes it special?

Definitely the fall. I love having crisp, sunny days when I can be outside all day---hiking, biking, just hanging out. And I love cold, rainy days when I can bundle up in a sweater and duckies and splash in the puddles and then go home to a cup of tea and a blanket.

X: EXes…things you don’t do anymore (but did, once).

Gosh, so many things! I used to love to go to the theater and the ballet. I haven’t done either for ages. Bike riding. Sailing. Book readings. Running (regularly, that is). Yoga. Book shopping! Dancing at clubs. Drinking at bars. Dating. Writing fiction. Swimming. Travel (my poor passport has an inch of dust on it!). Going to concerts. Hiking (real hiking in the Shenandoah, as opposed to walking on the trails around town). Photography. Journaling. Volunteering. Mentoring. Sleeping through the night. Taking long bubble baths.

Wow, I’ve gotten lazy and boring!

Y: Any secret, deep YEARNINGS?

I don’t know how secret or deep they are. But I’d like to write a novel. Move to Brisbane or some other coastal town. Get married. Run a marathon. Have a weekend cabin in the woods. Relearn French and Italian. Wear a size 8 again.

I have a secret desire to be a librarian, but we all know that I’m in denial about that!

Z: ZERO to ZENITH. Where are you in your life? Still growing? On an upward (or downward) curve? Just skating along?

I feel like I’m on the SooperDooperLooper. At this moment, I feel like I’m on an upward curve and still growing. But ask me again in 10 minutes and I’ll be convinced that my life is going downhill and the best is all behind me.

10 Comments:

At 1:48 PM , Blogger Bearette said...

Hee...so you're an "opportunistic omnivore with a very wide range of diet"? I love the picture, too ;) (I had to comment on the oppossum article before I read the rest.)

BTW, Curtis Sittenfeld is coming to some B&N in the city in August.

 
At 1:52 PM , Blogger Bearette said...

So you don't like different kinds of food, on the same plate, to touch? I can relate to that. When I was 7, i wrote a book (it was VERY silly) and talked about "glorious, unmixed food". ;)

 
At 1:53 PM , Blogger Bearette said...

talked about it in the book, that is. ok, i'll stop commenting now ;) for a day, anyway.

 
At 1:55 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're too cute. I love all your quirks!

 
At 2:01 PM , Blogger Lisa said...

I have one to add to Compulsions: Unplugging appliances. I'm completely paranoid about leaving small appliances plugged in, particularly toasters/toaster ovens. When I was in elementary school, I knew a family that lost everything to a house fire caused by a toaster that had been left plugged in. Now I'm compulsive about unplugging.

 
At 5:29 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

M and I are planning on Australia and New Zealand for our next trip. I'll have to get some tips from you, like the great ones you gave me before we went to Italy!

 
At 5:44 PM , Blogger Lisa said...

Liz---Take me with you!

 
At 8:00 PM , Blogger Scott said...

I have been thinking of reading some Christopher Moore, i will put it up on my list to check out.

Scott

 
At 12:15 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lisa, you can hop in my backpack anytime. ;)

 
At 10:53 PM , Blogger Elsa said...

I love The Daily Show, too. I never miss it. I also never miss The Colbert Report. They are both SO FUNNY!!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home