Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Craft Day

Despite the moving craziness, I have managed to get some more craft projects done.

I'm still working on my pile of t-shirts. This one started as a plain purple-ish crew neck. I cut about an inch off the bottom and cut the top off under the arms to make a tube top. Then poked holes front and back for straps. Originally, I tried using the discarded material to make the straps, but we've discussed my lack of cutting skills; the straps came out all sorts of nasty. But I managed to find just the right shade of ribbon at the craft store.

For the "starburst" detail, I traced a stencil and then did a basic backstitch with silver embroidery thread. Let me state for the record that I will never again use metallic thread. It was a huge pain to thread through the needle. In the center are clear Swarovski crystals, also stitched on with the silver thread. (It looks better than the picture makes it look, really!)


After all the frustration with the silver thread and the crystals, I desperately wanted a project that I could finish quickly and easily. Fortunately, I had a Subversive Cross Stitch kit on hand.


And finally, a new favorite project: pillows! I got this idea from the Crafty Chica site. It's a fantastically simple, instant-gratification project. Take two linen napkins, wrap them around a pillow form, and glue the edges with fabric glue. I added a trim, which I glued in between the two napkins so I wouldn't have to bother with "cornering" it. I made another one with different napkins in similar colors, but I packed it before I thought to take a picture.

4 Comments:

At 7:23 AM , Blogger Scott said...

Where do you ever find the time? I only have time to watch bad television and a myriad of sporting events.

Cheers,

Scott

 
At 8:59 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fun stuff!

 
At 10:36 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice pillow! I like the trim.

 
At 3:44 PM , Blogger SK said...

I like the shirt! The details you added are really cute.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home