Thursday, June 22, 2006

On the Pile

The reading slow-down continued this week due to the introduction of cable television into my life and the need to finish knitting an afghan in the next six weeks (i.e., prior to my sister’s wedding). Oh, and Seasons 6 and 7 of the best television show ever (i.e., Homicide) came out.

Finished: Despite the distractions, I did finish Voodoo Heart. Which I really liked. At first. I thought it was quirky and clever and thought-provoking. But then it got too clever and quirky and slid into David Lynch freak show territory, which I can only take in small doses. Each story was progressively weaker, as the symbolism became less subtle and the author’s “cleverness” more intrusive. Rather disappointing.

Currently Reading: Theft finally came off the bench, although I’m only a few pages in. And I’m trying to start Steps to An Ecology of Mind, but my mushy brain can’t make it past the introduction.

On Deck: Oh, Anne. I also hope to start Burning Rainbow Farm very soon.

Added to the Pile: Frema sent me an excellent package with a Babysitter’s Club book, two Sweet Valley High books, and an Archie comic book. Unfortunately, I forgot to write down the titles.

For Review
The Heartless Stone by Tom Zoellner
But I Like It by Joe Sacco
Fun Home by Alison Bechdel
(I feel like I’m forgetting some. Oh well.)

For School
The Marx-Engles Reader ed. by R.C. Tucker
From Max Weber: Essays in Sociology ed. by H. Berth and C. Wright Mills

ETA: And I just got in the two books I'm reviewing for Bookslut---All Rise: Somebodies, Nobodies, and the Politics of Dignity by Robert W. Fuller and So This is Love: Lollipop and Other Stories by Gilbert Reid.

3 Comments:

At 10:53 AM , Blogger Scott said...

Have fun with the Engels reader..

Scott

 
At 11:18 AM , Blogger Frema said...

I can help you on the BSC one:

Mary Anne Saves the Day

Mary Anne wasn't my favorite baby-sitter, but she was a close third to Stacey and Dawn.

 
At 11:38 AM , Blogger Bearette said...

sweet valley high...my goodness! i'll always remember jessica, the "bad" one and elizabeth, the "good" one. yikes.

i saw voodoo heart at the strand the other day. i'm curious to see what you think of theft. it's on my wish list :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home