Thursday, March 23, 2006

On the Pile

Finished: U.S.! by Chris Bachelder. Excellent, if you start on p. 200. Otherwise, a bit rambling, self-indulgent, redundant, and heavy handed with smatterings of wit and inventiveness.

Currently Reading: A Dirty Job by Christopher Moore.

On Deck: Who Moved My Blackberry? by Lucy Kellaway. Also a very large stack of library books that probably won't be read before they are due back.

Added to the Pile: No new review books arrived in the past week, so I had to return to the library for my fix. I'm dipping a toe into graphic novels; as usual, I'm two years behind the trend. I'm also doing a little spiritual investigation because I'm not so sure I want to be a Catholic anymore.

Fray by Joss Whedon, Andy Owens, and Karl Moline
Maus by Art Spiegelman
Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi
The Quakers in America by Thomas Hamm

I've also been on a bit of a magazine binge lately, picking up the latest Ode, ReadyMade, Rachel Ray Everyday, Ploughshares, Granta, and Oxford Review, as well as some tabloids to go with the banana pudding last week. I just can't properly mope without good gossip.

10 Comments:

At 12:10 PM , Blogger Bearette said...

How's "A Dirty Job"? And what's making you rethink Catholicism, out of curiosity...

Is the blackberry book a variant on "Who Moved My Cheese"? ;)

 
At 12:24 PM , Blogger Lisa said...

I'll let you know on "A Dirty Job." Haven't read much of it yet.

I think the Blackberry book is playing off that title. It's an office satire.

I'll get back to you on the Catholic thing. I'm not sure how to explain it yet.

 
At 1:04 PM , Blogger Frema said...

With all of the religious stuff swirling around in my head, it's (selfish but) nice to know I'm not the only one with questions. I'll look forward to your explanation.

 
At 7:49 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I loved Persepolis...Just FYI, I grew up Catholic, too, but in the past few years have searched elsewhere. I now go some Sundays to the Unitarian Universalist church, which I like, though it's way different from Catholicism. I agree with frema...it's nice to know there are others out there with questions!

 
At 8:46 AM , Blogger Bearette said...

i think all of us catholic girls have questions...it's interesting, though, i think that saying "once a catholic, always a catholic" is true...it's like it's a part of you, even if you don't agree with all of it.

 
At 8:49 AM , Blogger Lisa said...

I agree, B. Which is part of my struggle. For nearly 30 years, I've identified myself as a Catholic---spiritually, religiously, culturally. It's part of my identity. But I'm not so sure that it really is my identity, if that makes any sense.

 
At 12:56 PM , Blogger Bearette said...

totally. i don't agree with many of the tenets of catholicism, or even go to mass most of the time, but it's still part of me, and i consider myself a spiritual person, it's just my own spin on it...

 
At 5:34 PM , Blogger Frema said...

Bearette, you're exactly right. As Luke and I talk about which religion might be the best one for our future children, there's a one-uppity aspect of Catholicism that I don't want my kids to inherit. There are plenty of Catholic doctrines I don't believe in or follow. But the thought of my kids NOT being Catholic is hard one to swallow. I have to remember that the Catholic Church is another way to God, not vice versa.

 
At 7:17 PM , Blogger Lora said...

Sounds like the Power of Myth really got your juices going. There are lots of options out there, but I found that after years away it is kind nice to be involved into some sort of spiritual community. Perhaps some of your disillusionment comes from your recent overcommitment.

 
At 4:35 AM , Blogger Mike said...

Zach can't say enough good things about Persepolis. Zach: "Tell that person I don't know that she should read Persepolis before the others."

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home