Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Four Months Notice

Gave my notice at work. Waahoo!

Now I'm just waiting for my boss to tell the rest of the department so I can stop whispering and worrying about accidentally saying something in the hallway or whatever.

I made cookies for the occasion: Chocolate-chip oatmeal. Yum. I'm loving the Rapunzel chocolate chips, even though they are twice as expensive as regular baking chips. But they are fair trade and organic. It's worth the extra couple bucks to know that no children were enslaved in the making of my cookies.

I've been trying the past couple years to be a more conscientious consumer---buying fair-trade and organic products, picking items with the least amount of packaging or the most recycled content in the packaging, supporting companies that have positive business practices and avoiding those that don't. It's certainly made grocery shopping more complicated; I never realized how many types of milk there are. I used to reach in for the least expensive major brand.

It's also been a shock to my wallet to realize how much things---particularly food, but also clothes---really cost when the workers receive fair wages, when the manufacturing process is environmentally friendly and sustainable, when the companies hold themselves to ethical standards. And I'm so tempted sometimes to grab for the Kraft Mac & Cheese, even though it's made by a tobacco company and it contains absolutely no ingredients found in nature. But it's cheap and familiar. And I'm still not very good about buying local produce or selecting eco-friendly fish.

Anyway, I'm not sure how I got on this topic. But I'm going to add another nonsequitor. I've posted a few times about my friend Gina, who is an amazing singer and occasionally performs in Austin. She now has a My Space page. Go visit and listen to her sing.

10 Comments:

At 11:23 AM , Blogger Bearette said...

that chocolate looks really good.

i like annie's mac & cheese better than kraft...so orange!

i also have a recipe for mac & cheese with some tofu in the sauce (totally undetectable)...if you want it, let me know.

 
At 11:36 AM , Blogger Eric said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 11:53 AM , Blogger Eric said...

Good for you for taking the hit to the pocketbook, I've been trying to do the same for several years now myself. I figure SOMEBODY pays the price and takes the hit, I'd rather it be me, who honestly can afford the $1 more for the good stuff, than some poor 9-year-old in Malasia.

Annie's is SOOOO much better. I actually kind of like the Chreese products too—they're totally vegan, they don't really taste like cheese, but they're still tasty little easy-to-make pastas.

Stupid Blogger and its not letting a commentor edit their comment. Had to delete the original because of one minor typo…grrrr…

 
At 11:55 AM , Blogger Eric said...

Dammit, now I misspelled commenter…I'm not deleting the comment again though. So what if I can't spell, I've used spell-check software my whole life and Blogger doesn't offer that in the comment window. Grrr again.

 
At 2:19 PM , Blogger SK said...

Yay for fair trade! I'm trying to be more aware also but you're right, Lisa, it does add up. I'll try to keep lil e's philosphy in mind when debating about whether I want spend the extra $$.. I probably CAN afford it and would rather take the hit.

 
At 8:28 AM , Blogger Lora said...

It really is a fine balance between making the choice between what is the the less expensive choice and what is the more ethical choice. Unfortunately, many things are marketed as more ethical decisions, but in reality have little impact. It's very frustrating trying to tell the difference.

I think buying local produce is one of the best choices you can make. It's good for the local economy. It's much better for the local environment. Plus, it's just plan healthier for you. I keep thinking about signing up for one of those organic produce deals like Crystal's done, but it just seems like so much food.

 
At 11:53 AM , Blogger Ashley Beth said...

Good job for your part in making the world better. I'm working on it, but sometimes the cheaper foods, at the store closer to home is so easy. Reading your comments reminded me of why we do it. Thanks.

 
At 12:37 PM , Blogger Bearette said...

she has a very nice voice! does she have a recording contract?

 
At 12:45 PM , Blogger Lisa said...

Nope. She's working on putting together a demo CD.

 
At 5:02 PM , Blogger Bearette said...

well, good luck to her. i enjoyed listening to her songs.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home