Wednesday, February 08, 2006

I tend to get overly emotionally invested in stories---movies, television shows, books, musicals. I've cried during almost every movie I've ever seen---including Conan the Barbarian. And I carry those emotions much past the actual experience of the story.

Tonight, I was watching Gilmore Girls and it was the episode in which both Lorelai and Rory freak about being completely overwhelmed by the work to achieve their dreams---the inn for Lorelai and Yale for Rory---and even though I'm not really in that spot right now, I've been there before. There being that place where you feel like the earth is sinking beneath you and the oxygen is rushing away. You feel completely alone and vulnerable and dark and scared and overwhelmed and you think that nothing will ever be good again.

I'm not there now, but I've been there recently, and this episode brought up all those emotions. Doesn't help that Lauren Graham acted the hell out this one. Damn, she's good!

Does this ever happen to you---watching a movie or a television show completely changes your mood?

Of course, I also was looking for a reason to procrastinate on writing because as karmic payback for mean comments about other peoples' grammar, I can no longer write a sentence that doesn't strangle itself with convoluted clauses or land with a resounding clunk.

3 Comments:

At 8:54 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, but this post was so well written! Just don't think about it...your writing is always wonderful.

 
At 9:39 PM , Blogger Lora said...

Oh please, don't analyze the grammer and spelling in my posts and comments. When I go back and reread things, I'm often horrified at what I posted, but I don't seen to catch the errors in the moment.

I get way too emotionally invested in shows, but in someways I find it cathartic. They are a safe place to experience the tragedies of life and make me feel better about the real world.

 
At 7:03 AM , Blogger Bearette said...

exactly. i don't get too emotionally involved in TV shows, but movies...I cried at The Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. The idea of losing one's memory and past seems unbearably sad to me. D asked me why it made me cry. He said his memory had been erased already.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home