Thursday, September 08, 2005

I'm Back

Did ya miss me?

Fine. But can't you just lie and say that you did?

Anyway, I've returned from the East Coast where I put on ten pounds while eating crabs and birthday cake, watching nonstop Katrina coverage, visiting friends I haven't seen in several years and meeting their children/fiances/boyfriends, reveling in how happy my friends are with their children/fiances/boyfriends, and watching the continued downward spiral of the Orioles. I also got some GRE tutoring from my mother, who oh-so-helpfully noted, "This is the stuff I teach third-graders." Thanks, Mom.

I had meant to post while I was away, but I forgot that my parents are the only people on earth who still use a dial-up connection that moves at the speed of frozen molasses.

But I'm back now and full of ranting and raving re: the Bush administration's horrible, criminal handling of the crisis in New Orleans. I applaud the charitable actions of so many people, but we can't forget the inexcusable neglect that led to a humanitarian crisis in our own country nor should private donations substitute for the federal government's responsibility.

Back off my soap box for a moment, I'll just mention that Tuesday (Sept. 6) marked the 10th anniversary of Cal Ripken Jr. breaking baseball's Iron Man record when he played in his 2131 consecutive game. He went on to play another 501 consecutive games before breaking his streak. He played for 16 years without missing a game. Go learn more.

1 Comments:

At 10:59 AM , Blogger Bearette said...

I missed you, even though I know nothing about baseball ;) Welcome back!

It's odd about the baseball, since I belong to a family of rabid Red Sox fans. My niece has a crush on Manny Ramirez and even has a fragment of one of his shirts.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home